No 'Press Key To Start From CDROM'

hey guys,

has anyone an explanation for that ? i fixed me up some nice unattended with all the stuff i need. the only thing im missing is the 'press key to start from cdrom' when i boot from it, it boots direktly to the systemdetection everytime. its pretty annoyin if your cdrom is the 1st bootdevice. .. so you have to take the cdrom out and stuff it back in.

i guessed its something with the boot.bin i used to burn, but after tryin 3 different versions ... i still cant get it to work ...

some1 has some more detailed infos about that ?

thx mason

hmm if i did ... it wasnt my intention. some1 has some detailed information how i can reactivate it ?

since i have modded my installation over half a year and dont wanna do everything again. there must be a way ;)

You have to edit your winnt.sif:

[Data]
Autopartition = 0
FloppyLess = 1
MsDosInitiated = 0
UnattendedInstall = "Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode = DefaultHide
UnattendSwitch = "No"
OemPreinstall = "Yes"
OemSkipEula = "Yes"
FileSystem = *
WaitForReboot = "No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode = 1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode = 1
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

That's a part of my unattended installation. Try to compare this part with your winnt.sif, wich can be found in the I386 directory. And if something different, change it.

I'm sorry I can't tell you wich rule you need to change, because i don't know it either :lol:

Regards Deamobile

I'm almost positive that the "Press any key" message comes from the Microsoft Boot Image. You should be able to just copy the contents of the CD to the hard drive and make a new CD with the default boot image and be good to go.

If you're using nLite and select 'Create a bootable ISO' you shouldn't have an issue as long as you used the original source files from the XP CD. To me it sounds as if the CD isn't bootable or you have the HDD before the CD in the boot order. Check your BIOS first for the obvious boot order mistake, then check your CD for WIN51 in the root. If it ain't there, I doubt if the CD is even bootable.

thx for the answers guys. about the winnt.sif i doubt its in there ... im pretty sure the file isnt used untill the setup starts up ...

i guess ryan is on the right way ... but whats strange, i tried 3 different bootsecs i downloaded from different sites 'slipstream' guides ... all have the same problem.

and the bios is sure good, but its pretty anoyin if you dont have a mobo with supports some bootmenu. so you have to change it in the different stages of the setup or eject the cd on the 2 reboots durin the setup.

i try to extract some bootsec of a retail xp .... and post the outcome ;)

greets mason

thx for the answers guys. about the winnt.sif i doubt its in there ... im pretty sure the file isnt used untill the setup starts up ...

That's not quite true, in the winnt.sif you can configure auto-partition, wait for reboot, etc... ;) That's why i thought press key to .... could be configured there aswell :)

Regards Deamobile

okay i extracted a bootsec with the 'press key' feature and stuffed it into my cd ... doesnt work either ...

im pretty lost here, no further clue ....

even checking the winn.sif wasnt helpfull ... no sign of this functionality here ...

no one with any further hints for me ?! :/

okay got it, its a file called bootfix.bin in the i386 dir .... it was missing!

just if some1 expirience the same problem ;)

i just did a complete textsearch on the 'working' cd for the 'press any key' string to check out the differences