Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2

Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 is an ideal, production-quality tool for consolidating multiple workloads onto a physical server, allowing organizations to make more efficient use of their hardware resources. Built upon Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 SP1 and bolstered with new functionality, Virtual Server 2005 R2 enables IT organizations to enhance their administrative productivity and rapidly deploy new servers to address changing business needs through automated deployment and configuration of connected virtual machines that are easily administered with standard server management tools. Virtual Server 2005 R2 is an extensively tested and well supported virtualization solution that is supported both by the broader ISV community and by Microsoft in conjunction with its server operating systems and applications.

Because it is part of the Microsoft Windows Server System, Virtual Server 2005 R2 is designed to integrate seamlessly with your other server infrastructure investments. For more information about Virtual Server 2005 R2, see the Virtual Server Product Overview page.

In addition to the license terms of this downloaded software, you are also granted rights to use the software to provide hosted services. End customers receiving this software service are not required to obtain their own Microsoft software licenses. End customers receive the right to interact with functionalities of Microsoft software through the services of the provider's hosted environment.

Download

I read this the other day when it was originally posted on the MSFN main page. :D

It's a smart move, IMO. The timing couldn't have been better since we were checking into setting up a development cluster based on Virtual Server 2005 (cluberti may remember me talking about that before).

It's also going to come in handy next year when we purchase the replacement servers and drives (finally talked 'em into going fiber channel!! yay!) next year for our existing cluster.

I haven't bothered to compare, because VMWare Server is excellent! The only lacking feature is that it doesn't support multiple snap-shots like VMWare Workstation does. Otherwise it's slick...I'm sure VS2005R2 is nice, but VMWare is the definitive vm application.