[SEC] Uncrackable Passwords!

All these things being said--I can say from personal experience that using "foreign" or other special characters (¡, ¿, ƒ, ˆ, etc), will thwart most would-be hackers using less than super equipment from cracking your password. Most of tools used commonly used by password crackers simply do not employ these characters.

...but as far as totally "uncrackable", I would have to agree with field--impossible given adequate equipment.

Edited by TheFlash428

All these things being said--I can say from personal experience that using "foreign" or other special characters (¡, ¿, ƒ, ˆ, etc), will thwart most would-be hackers using less than super equipment from cracking your password. Most of tools used commonly used by password crackers simply do not employ these characters.

...but as far as totally "uncrackable", I would have to agree with field--impossible given adequate equipment.

you forgot adequate time as well....

But no one is challenging that.....

As the document says on the cover page:

Obviously no password is actually uncrackable, in this document the term “uncrackable” refers to “realistically or

technically uncrackable.” Please refer to the remainder of the document for more details.

But a precomputed hash table (such as governments use ATM) *does* need to be calculated at least once...

And remember, as long as it takes to make ONE table today, with this method, the government will need to spend 12,086,781x10^5 times LONGER to make a new one.... that is a hell of a long time :blink:

Yes. You are correct. What I was thinking was somehow 'getting' a table already done from somewhere. Getting the Government one would be cool. :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

But a precomputed hash table (such as governments use ATM) *does* need to be calculated at least once...

And remember, as long as it takes to make ONE table today, with this method, the government will need to spend 12,086,781x10^5 times LONGER to make a new one.... that is a hell of a long time :blink:

Yes. You are correct. What I was thinking was somehow 'getting' a table already done from somewhere. Getting the Government one would be cool. :yes:

The thing that you have to realize about the government is that they have access to way faster machines than we do. I'm talking about big iron, like a parallel super computer. Computing a hash table is so very parallel that it can be easily spread out over the 64K+ CPUs that one of these monsters have...I'm talking about computers like Blue Gene/L or Red Storm.

Try 0321. Three digit codes are for ASCII, four digit codes are Unicode. But I get the same thing either way in this case, which I find odd.

321-256=065, which happens to be the U.S. ASCII code for the capital letter A. Valid ASCII codes are 000-255 and vary by region.

Edited by 5eraph