can i have a little help with a vbs script please?

Can I just congratulate GSM and all the other peole that have contributed to this thread. I have just read through it and I have just realised how basic my knowledge is.

What you guys have done is amazing!!

I have just designed an automated build of windows xp and am going to invstigate implementing this into it so that my company can start to audit pc's. Even if its all the new ones going out from now, that btter than nothing.

I feel that this would be even better if there was 2 options. 1 being an automated option so that it runs against %computername% without the need to press any buttons. Then the vbs can be added to the runonceprocess and will automatically generate a hta file in the name of the computername, which can then be copied upto a shared area on the network for inventory results.

The 2nd option would be to run this say from my machine, but be prompted to enter an ip range, ie 10.1.50-10.1.50.255 so that it would then go off and attempt to run this against each machine (might need to prompt for admin credintials if unable to connect under my current logged in credintials) and to then generate a hta file for each computer to \\server\Inventory Results

I am in work tomorrow and will try and report back any findings if I get a chance, but if now will crack on again next week when I am back at work.

Respect to GSM and Yzöwl you have both taught me a lot in the last hour or so and you don't even know m from Adam. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is ok. Its gone very quiet in this post.

It would be a shame to leave this project unfinished as I am sure it would be so popular. I will contribute wherever I can. I will just need some pointers or some time to read through the hta file.

I would suggest that most people would want to have an inventory of hardware and software thats is installed and a few other bits and pieces, such as compname, serial number, system model, tcp/ip settings. If this solution could be made automated/silent then I think it would be a great addition to anyones automated build cd if they wanted to include an asset solution into it.

I.E. you could have a scheduled task that runs the script once a month and it creates a file called %computername%.txt /hta /xml /csv and then it will also attempt to copy this file upto a network share that everyone has permission to write to. I would suggest that it would also be useful to append this information to any exisiting files, so you can build up an history of the pcs inventory. (ie you can see if any software has been installed since the last inventory)

The script, would be ideal if the variables for the computername and save location of the logs were clearly marked, at the moment Ihaven't been able to work it out.

Thanks for bumping this Kev, I almost missed this awesome info.

gunsmokingman, I'm having a problem I'm hoping you can help with regarding these scripts. Whenever I run your scripts (all versions - vbs and hta) the computer name shows my domain name, not the computer name.

I'm running Windows XP joined to a old fashoned NT4 domain. I get the same error when checking other XP PC's over the network.

Edited by Nois3

This is a updated version

Changes

1:\ The Defrag, Clean, Run Both Are Now in the Windows tools Menu

2:\ Change the button Colors

This is for XP as there are reports it does not work on W2K not sure about W3k

The HTA is saved on %SystemDrive% that it runs from

Nois3 Posted Yesterday, 06:20 PM

Thanks for bumping this Kev, I almost missed this awesome info.

gunsmokingman, I'm having a problem I'm hoping you can help with regarding these scripts. Whenever I run your scripts (all versions - vbs and hta) the computer name shows my domain name, not the computer name.

I'm running Windows XP joined to a old fashoned NT4 domain. I get the same error when checking other XP PC's over the network.

I will look into this but since I do not have a network to test on this might take some time.

SystemReport_V4a.PNG

SystemReport_V4a.exe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...