Win XP Pro + CD Key issues

wibble

I am trying to reinstall winxp pro and have a cd that i have slipstreamed sp2 onto to save time later however this isnt accepting my cd key that came with the laptop.

I have followed guides to change the setupp.ini file so the pid entry now says OEM but this doesnt seem to work.

I cannot see what is wrong. The laptop was purchased new from acer and I dont want to have to dig out the original CD to get this reinstalled. Any help will be much appreciated

Hello

I have recently buy too an acer notebook (1654WLMI), so i have the same problem, how obtain an xp cd ? I have found one solution at this website

Original

http://www.3dchips-fr.com/article/0/0/235/...overy_cd_s.html in french !!

Translated with google not without errors !!

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

So i don't reinstall all actually because i'm not sure that wpa is really preactivated (i think yes), because Acer have done this before, but oem preactivation is maybe with VLK Key and not key from sticker under the laptop, so use as me virtual pc or vmware for test. I have done analysis and pc xp key is different than sticker key !

I'm sorry for explain

Re

If this solution doesn't work

Try to install xp with an another oem xp key (different from those you have under laptop)

Upgrade or format ? I think formating, and then a clean install with setupp.ini (OEM) for xp oem key or 270 for vlk key.

++

Re

If this solution doesn't work

Try to install xp with an another oem xp key (different from those you have under laptop)

Upgrade or format ? I think formating, and then a clean install with setupp.ini (OEM) for xp oem key or 270 for vlk key.

++

I have an Acer Extensa Notebook. Just wanted a Notebook for a change with it's low power requirements and quiet operation and limited wires. However I knew I would be in BIG TROUBLE if it ever stopped working.

It stopped working after a year and two months. It's laying on it's back on my other desk.

Anyway it was pre-activated I think, as when I purchased it all I had to do was type in my user name in front of the salesperson.

Problem is, if you wish to install Windows (and the additional software comes too..) again, you have to install and wipe your previous installations. Including any Windows updates, etc.

The only way to get the WindowsXP disk (that you have to activate) is to buy from an independent OEM. And not too many of those make Notebooks/Laptops.