Win XP Pro + CD Key issues

wibble

I am trying to reinstall winxp pro and have a cd that i have slipstreamed sp2 onto to save time later however this isnt accepting my cd key that came with the laptop.

I have followed guides to change the setupp.ini file so the pid entry now says OEM but this doesnt seem to work.

I cannot see what is wrong. The laptop was purchased new from acer and I dont want to have to dig out the original CD to get this reinstalled. Any help will be much appreciated

I am trying to reinstall winxp pro and have a cd that i have slipstreamed sp2 onto to save time later however this isnt accepting my cd key that came with the laptop.

I have followed guides to change the setupp.ini file so the pid entry now says OEM but this doesnt seem to work.

I cannot see what is wrong. The laptop was purchased new from acer and I dont want to have to dig out the original CD to get this reinstalled. Any help will be much appreciated

**** IPB for eating my messages....:unsure:

What were the last three characters in the PID of your SETUPP.INI? Usually you want those to stay the same that you had in the original or else your key won't work. Worse yet I have seen some OEM builds sold with an OEM disc and the key listed on the COA won't work with the installation. The ones that do have a problem after slipstreaming. This really p***es me off and is why I only do volume installations. I have to deal with too much crap to be playing licensing games. Especially since I'm the OS deployment guy. :unsure:

One more thing!

A key you enter within Windows to perform an installation that will not be accepted after doing a slipstream will often work if you reboot the computer and boot the CD instead. That is my situation. :blink:

Hey guys thanks for your help.

In the end I managed to get hold of the acer recovery cd's and restore to "factory settings" i then had the fun of repartitioning, sp2ing and all the other bollocks that came with it.

1) Have you downloaded CD or have you a corporate/volume license CD ?

You must have retail or oem windows xp pro CD to works with your cdkey, after installation you must call microsoft to activate.

3) You can remake a fresh windows xp pro CD with oembios file from acer system, and activation doesn't needed after install.