Windows XP PowerPacker v1.0 RC8 Beta3

Siginet

When next beta is out, I would like to test is too.

For the moment, I'm doing some experiments with ubcd, ubcd4win, bartPE, bcdw etc...

Would be nice to combine them all :-)

btw, I more prefer the cd shell scripts in ubcd. They are easier to maintain.

Have you already done some tests with bartPE? ore someone else?

Sorry guys... I've been kinda busy latley. I think I am ready for beta 2... but I want to run a few more tests. I'll try to get the beta out this weekend. It will be kind of the same as Beta1 but with all of the known bugs fixed. Hopefully I will have some time to add some more stuff to it soon.

I also am looking forward to the release of Beta 2. I have ran into a few issues with the tri-pack, both duing the intall phase (not integration). I would like to see Beta 2 before I rample on just in case they are resolved. But real quick, they both appear during the runonce phase.

So after the first login. The first, just annoying but a missing nlite.inf file (not using nlite, but I am using the RVM_Integrator) and the really annoying is with bashrat's DP. I get a "bad signing logo" on quite a few drivers. I think for of these are due to the tri-pack split. I am still trying a few things, but any ideas?

Either way, cannot wait for Beta 2

I also am looking forward to the release of Beta 2. I have ran into a few issues with the tri-pack, both duing the intall phase (not integration). I would like to see Beta 2 before I rample on just in case they are resolved. But real quick, they both appear during the runonce phase.

So after the first login. The first, just annoying but a missing nlite.inf file (not using nlite, but I am using the RVM_Integrator) and the really annoying is with bashrat's DP. I get a "bad signing logo" on quite a few drivers. I think for of these are due to the tri-pack split. I am still trying a few things, but any ideas?

Either way, cannot wait for Beta 2

That issue would not be caused by powerpacker in any way. I'll try to release beta 2 today.

Cool. If I have some time tonight, I will do some testing.

I also found out that it is not hard at all to add support voor BartPE. Just add the BartPE files to the root of the CD. copy the bootsect.bin file and rename it to PRO1.DAT.

In the cdshell.ini you have to edit some lines too. Since I use a complete other cdshell (the one you find on UBCD) I can't exactly tell what to change. But it should be easy.

Something like:

print " [F1] The Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows "

if ($lastKey == key[f1]); then chain /PRO1.DAT

I also found out that it is not hard at all to add support voor BartPE. Just add the BartPE files to the root of the CD. copy the bootsect.bin file and rename it to PRO1.DAT.

In the cdshell.ini you have to edit some lines too. Since I use a complete other cdshell (the one you find on UBCD) I can't exactly tell what to change. But it should be easy.

Something like:

Actually in the new beta it should be even easier. All you should have to do is add reference to the setupldr.bin file in the new boot menu ini files. I haven't tested yet... but that's all I think has to be done.

Hey, how do you make setupldr.bin to select which file it's going to use? do you just replace all instances of winnt.sif in setupldr.bin or what kind of "magic" are you employing here ..lol ...lol :whistle:

btw, I'm currently testing beta 3. will get back and give a report.

Hey, how do you make setupldr.bin to select which file it's going to use? do you just replace all instances of winnt.sif in setupldr.bin or what kind of "magic" are you employing here ..lol ...lol :whistle:

Actually you are 100% correct. I replace winnt.sif with the name of the folder like: wXPPC.sif.

Pretty cool trick. It opens many other doors that will be simple to implement to powerpacker. Like the option to use multiple winnt.sif files for the same pack. :D

BTW... has anyone noticed that the filesize of PowerPacker is about a third of the size of RC7.1. :blink:

Something like:

Actually in the new beta it should be even easier. All you should have to do is add reference to the setupldr.bin file in the new boot menu ini files. I haven't tested yet... but that's all I think has to be done.

I confirmed it today. All you have to do is give reference to the setupldr.bin file. :)

But when PowerPacker has support for PE I want it to be able to add multiple copies of PE on a disk and they share the same Programs folder.

Actually you are 100% correct. I replace winnt.sif with the name of the folder like: wXPPC.sif.

Pretty cool trick. It opens many other doors that will be simple to implement to powerpacker. Like the option to use multiple winnt.sif files for the same pack. :D

BTW... has anyone noticed that the filesize of PowerPacker is about a third of the size of RC7.1. :blink:

Something like:

I confirmed it today. All you have to do is give reference to the setupldr.bin file. :)

But when PowerPacker has support for PE I want it to be able to add multiple copies of PE on a disk and they share the same Programs folder.

And how exactly do I have to do that?

Now I use the cdchell.ini from ubcd www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and I only had to ad some lines like

if ($lastKey == key[f1]); then chain /XOPC.DAT

Now those xxxx.DAT files are gone.

Do I just have to edit it like:

if ($lastKey == key[f12]); then \XOPC\XOPC.BIN

Now there is a BOOT.ini file that basically you use to point to another ini file or you add reference to the boot file in it.

For instance here is the new BOOT.INI:

[MenuItems]
:
C:\; Boot from drive C:
:
\Boot\PRO.INI; Install Windows XP PRO
\Boot\HOME.INI; Install Windows XP HOME
;END
:
:reboot; Reboot
:PowerOff; Power Off

[MenuOptions]
BGColors = 00, 80, 80, 80
BGSymbol = 32
TopText =
BottomText =
MenuPosition = 02, 05, 76, 16
MenuColors = f9, 9f, 1f, f0, 0f, fd, f9
MenuBorderStyle = 5
MenuShadowStyle = 2
MenuTitle = Boot Options
MenuDefault = 0
MenuTimerLabel = Time remaining:
MenuTimer = 5

You can either point to another INI file like this:

[MenuItems]
:
C:\; Boot from drive C:
:
\Boot\PRO.INI; Install Windows XP PRO
\Boot\HOME.INI; Install Windows XP HOME
\Boot\BART.INI; Initiate Preinstallation Environment
;END
:
:reboot; Reboot
:PowerOff; Power Off

[MenuOptions]
BGSymbol = 32
TopText =
BottomText =
MenuPosition = 02, 05, 76, 16
MenuBorderStyle = 5
MenuShadowStyle = 2
MenuTitle = Boot Options
MenuDefault = 0
MenuTimer = 5

Then in your new BART.INI you would have this:

[MenuItems]
\BPE1\SETUPLDR.BIN; BART Preinstallation Environment
\XPE1\SETUPLDR.BIN; XPE Preinstallation Environment
:
:Return; Main Screen

[MenuOptions]
BGSymbol = 32
TopText =
BottomText =
MenuPosition = 02, 05, 76, 7
MenuBorderStyle = 5
MenuShadowStyle = 2
MenuTitle = Initiate Preinstallation Environment
MenuDefault = 0

And I want to customize the [MenuOptions] for PowerPacker as well. I was thinking a green theme for the HOME.ini file and a blue theme for the PRO.ini file.

Edited by Siginet

Thx for the info. But I wanted to use the cdshell.ini

Now I found out how to start one of the powerpacker installations. Just use: bcdw boot \XOPC\ROPC.BIN

I could edit the boot.ini from powerpacker, but that would be more work for me :-)

I'm still trying to combine everything on one CD.

Keep up the good work!