Athlon or Intel?

roger04

184 members have voted

1. 1. Athlon or Intel?

• Intel Pentium 4
    • AMD Anthlon XP

@astalavista: has anyone told you yet that picpop really doesn't like your hotlink?

I currently have an athlon64 3500+, and my previous machine (well, mobo and processor) was a P4 3.2. I am impressed with the performance overall, but I truly wish I had saved my money and gone with another athlon xp. The 64-bit side of things is really no help, under windows or linux..both work, but there's no real support from driver developers or software, so everything's falling back into compatibility mode...it's worse than when I moved to windows 95 from 3.11. For anyone looking for a decent performing computer, I would definately go with an athlon xp, they're much lower on cost and the performance is as good if not better than the current P4 lineup (and with much lower temps). For an office PC, I would consider a Sempron system, if it won't be really running any power-hungry applications, I currently also own a Sempron 2400+, and was shocked by the performance (I was expecting something more along the lines of celeron performance, but this was WAAAY better).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Till more 64 bit software hits the market I'm going to save my money for more beer and pizza. First things first.....Right?

My current 3000+ AMD CPU screems like a banchee and with my new 120 gig WD, SATA HD, by whole system "ROCKS". If it were any hotter I'd have to have a two ton AC unit jus to keep it cool. As it is, my nine cooling fans keep everything in the case at room temperature. Ha Ha Ha

One day, just like Christmas, I'll have me a AMD 64 bit processor. But for right now, I'm perfectly satisfied with my ol' 32 bit system.

Cheers,

Andromeda43

• 1 month later...

at this point in time, Intel has the fastest 32-bit processors. AMD has the fastest 64-bit processors.

Intel has had the fastest processors since they increased the FSB of the P4 to 533 but only just. The difference was marginal. When they released the 800 FSB, Intel owned!

Before that, AMD was king of the speed stakes ever since they released the original Athlon.

Up until then Intel was always the fastest, although, AMDs equivelent to the original Pentium which was the AMD K5 I believe was faster than the Pentium.

entirely depends on usage as to which really. for a general workhorse to not do much just sit lazing about doing simple tasks like word processing or spreadsheets then intel are the more favoured, but if you want a multimedia pc then theres clearly no comparison, the AMDs simply blow the intel away in terms of both performance and price.

at this point in time, Intel has the fastest 32-bit processors. AMD has the fastest 64-bit processors.

Intel has had the fastest processors since they increased the FSB of the P4 to 533 but only just. The difference was marginal. When they released the 800 FSB, Intel owned!

Before that, AMD was king of the speed stakes ever since they released the original Athlon.

Up until then Intel was always the fastest, although, AMDs equivelent to the original Pentium which was the AMD K5 I believe was faster than the Pentium.

Fastest in terms of GHz does not equate to fastest in performance, especially in Intel's case. As you may already know, an AMD Athlon 3200+ cpu running at 2GHz outperforms an Intel equivalent which runs at 3.2GHz in most applications. However, Intel does have an advantage when it comes to encoding as they have longer pipelines and a faster BUS.

Well I voted for AMd but if you are talking about P4 with the northwood core and if you are comparing that with the AMD athlon xp then ok I will still choose AMD.

But are you talking about the 64 bit procs or what? Cause I think it is retarded to get a desktop with an Intel proc in it!

Desktop's AMD 64 Athlon, price/performance can't be beat.

Laptops perhaps Intel, but AMD's Athlon-M processors with unlocked voltages are pretty sweet and making inroads.

My Athlon64 2800 was priced pretty close to what the 32bit Bartons go for.

And would have to agree about heating, any P4+ or current model AMD is gonna need a case fan. I probably have more running than I need, but just what came with the case.

2 External venters, 1 Side pulling air onto the Graphics card, and a front-side fan pulling air onto hardrives.

AMD Stock fan on the CPU which is barely even warm to the touch, compare that to your GPU which when not even overclocked or playing games is too hot to touch for long.

Edited by Crash&Burn