Help, I need to temporarily Move AD, tried and failed

I'm going to eventually need to reload 2k3 on my DC.

I need to:

1. Set up a temporary DC to replicated all of the AD info from my current DC.

2. Set that DC so it will be the PDC.

3. Reload old DC's OS and then make it a DC in the domain and replicate AD again

4. Make old DC the PDC again so everything is the same except now I'll have a fresh install of the OS

I thought this would be simple, but I tried it last night and ran into several problems and just decided to boot from old 2k3 install so I'm back to square one for the moment.

I really need help on this one, thanks!

Very simple, install new server (Server2) and run dcpromo (make it additional domain controller for the existing domain), once done, and confirmed with no errors in Event Viewer, transfer FSMO roles including Global Catalog role to Server2 from Server1. Demote Server1 using dcpromo, remove it from the domain (after you demote DC, the server is automatically set as member server), reinstall OS on Server1, promote it to DC using dcpromo, transfer FSMO roles back (including Global Catalog role) to Server1 from Server2, demote Server2 using dcpromo, remove it then from the domian and you're good as new ...

[HOW-TO] How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003

EDIT: Corrected server role that doesn't belong to the FSMO roles - Global Catalog

Edited by klasika

WHOA - you missed one important thing there. You need to make sure that server 2 is a Global Catalog server, otherwise the whole GC of your AD will be lost!

you're right, I was supposed to write GC instead of Schema master ... lol thanks :)