Multi-Boot winnt32.exe install started from inside Windows

gummy2

I have made a Multi-Boot dvd and allso put a autorun on with AutoPlay Media Studio , but when i try to install one of the os from the autorun it makes a new $WIN_NT$.~BT boot folder so its pointing to the wrong place. As my boot folders are PRO1 , PRO2 and PRO3 and SETUP\XP\Professional\

In AutoPlay Media Studio

File.Run("setup\\XP\\Professional\\I386\\WINNT32.EXE", "", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, false);

I get this error just after it asks where to install to.

Setup was unable to verify drive c:. Your computer may not have enough memory to examine the drives, or your windows XP CD may contain some corrupted files.

Edited by gummy2

they all work when i boot from cd shell , its when i try and install from my custom Autorun menu made with AutoPlay Media Studio

In AutoPlay Media Studio

File.Run("setup\\XP\\Professional\\I386\\WINNT32.EXE", "", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, false);

Edited by gummy2

ok, maybe the problem is in your autorun, but have you tried install from this winnt32.exe in windows mode? Maybe you'll find the same problem. Try installing from winnt on windows and tell me if the problem still happens

Now i have put this in AutoPlay Media Studio this seem to work.

result = File.Run("AutoPlay\\Docs\\pro1.CMD", "", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, false);

and in the pro1.CMD

CMDOW @ /HID
@echo off
REM +===========================================================+
REM | Finding CDROM driveletter. |
REM |-----------------------------------------------------------|
SET TAGFILE=\OEM
FOR %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" set CDDRIVE=%%i:
%CDDRIVE%\setup\XP\Professional\I386\WINNT32.EXE /unattend30:d:\setup\XP\Professional\I386\ANSWER_FILE.TXT
REM +===========================================================+
REM | Copying over txtsetup.sif to set the paths right. |
REM |-----------------------------------------------------------|
XCOPY /E /I /Q /Y /R %CDDRIVE%\PRO1\TXTSETUP.SIF %SYSTEMDRIVE%\$WIN_NT$.~BT
XCOPY /E /I /Q /Y /R %CDDRIVE%\PRO1\TXTSETUP.SIF %SYSTEMDRIVE%\
RD /S /Q "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\SYSTEM32"
EXIT

I was thinking something like this but i am unsure if it would work

%CDDRIVE%\setup\XP\Professional\I386\WINNT32.EXE /m:d:\PRO1 /unattend:d:\setup\XP\Professional\I386\ANSWER_FILE.TXT

Edited by gummy2

No, if you rename your ANSWER_FILE.TXT to WINNT.SIF in the same i386 directory, it would solve your problem. The autorun problem maybe already solved, but I still want to know if you tested installing from winnt32.exe in another Windows OS, 'cause if that old problem still remains, you have ONLY to change a little thing in your TXTSETUP.SIF and you can use directly your winnt32 or boot sector to install Windows, with no problem nor needing to use BAT files.

I usually change the TXTSETUP.SIF to point to the correct i386 folder:

SetupSourcePath = "\ROOT\XPPC\"

>>I'm telling setup to look for an i386 folder inside the %CD%\ROOT\XPPC folder, then I don't need to use any BAT file. And my Answer file is named WINNT.SIF, so I can just click in winnt32.exe and install the windows unattended, or I can boot and it would install unattended too.

On my autorun I have options to make a ISO of each os on my Multi dvd

so for this to work i need to keep the TXTSETUP.SIF to SetupSourcePath = "\" in setup\XP\Professional\I386

so when it makes the iso of the os its pointing to the right place

but in my boot sector pro1 my TXTSETUP.SIF SetupSourcePath = "\SETUP\XP\Professional\"

Now when i install from with in windows useing winnt32.exe it makes a new $WIN_NT$.~BT

thats why i made the bat file to copy over my TXTSETUP.SIF from my boot sector pro1 so it points to the right paths

Edited by gummy2

ah, Ok, now I understood why you wanted to keep the TXTSETUP.SIF original. I didn't know this function in your autorun. I had some problems with my CD 'cause I only changed the TXTSETUP in the boot folder, so when I tried to install from Windows I got Copy errors, so I thought your problem should be the same. Ok, I think your bat file is the soluction, but you may check the WINNT.SIF, 'cause you don't need to use the command-line to select the ANSWER_FILE.TXT if you can only copy the WINNT.SIF to the correct folder.

There's a AutoIT script-based tool (I think it's SetupXP) that prepares a Windows Installation from WinPE: it copies the files to the C: (I think it creates the $WIN_NT$ folders) and start the installation. You may take a look at this tool. It's interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi i'm having the exact same problem here and i'm going to try your cmd file but there is a line i dont understand: /unattend30:d:\setup\XP\Professional\I386\ANSWER_FILE.TXT

Whats it for? and what is ANSWER_FILE.TXT?

Hope you can help me out.

ANSWER_FILE.TXT is just like the winnt.sif so your install can be unattended

This line is the argument/Switch: /unattend30:d:\setup\XP\Professional\I386\ANSWER_FILE.TXT

/unattend, no user input is required

30:is the number of seconds between the time that Setup finishes copying the files and when it restarts your computer

where ANSWER_FILE.TXT is d:\setup\XP\Professional\I386\ANSWER_FILE.TXT

• 5 years later...

ANSWER_FILE.TXT is just like the winnt.sif so your install can be unattended

This line is the argument/Switch: /unattend30:d:\setup\XP\Professional\I386\ANSWER_FILE.TXT

/unattend, no user input is required

30:is the number of seconds between the time that Setup finishes copying the files and when it restarts your computer

where ANSWER_FILE.TXT is d:\setup\XP\Professional\I386\ANSWER_FILE.TXT

try this one in ams, it's work

function appPathOriginal() 

local cdPath = "";
local findMarker = "SFXSOURCE:";
local cmdArgs = "";

if (Table.Count(_CommandLineArgs) > 0) then
for i = 1, Table.Count(_CommandLineArgs) do
if (String.Find(_CommandLineArgs[i], findMarker) > 0) then
cmdArgs = _CommandLineArgs[i];
break;
end