Is it better for gaming?

Got a AMD Athlon64 4200+ X2 CPU

Is Windows XP 64 bit edition any better than Windows XP for computer gaming? The fact that it EMULATES 32 bits doesn't sound very fast. Which is the faster solution for the moment?

Right now some of the 64bit versions of games are buggy and usually theres not much work done on patching them again.

HL2 64bit has some glitches for example.

Also, 64bit gfx driver updates tend to come out later than their 32bit counterparts. The overall driver situation generally sucks to begin with...it can only improve over time but I was really hoping 64bit would've been a lot more mainstream by now. D*mn feet draggers.

Edited by Aluminum

There are benefits to 64-bit gaming. Since the processor handles data in 64-bit chunks, which are exponentially larger than 32-bit, then more is processed per clock cycle. Also there are 64-bit only registers on AMD64 processors, so you get some extra registers as well when using XP64. If your graphics card is limited by a slow CPU, 64-bit would definitely help.

i think it helps. i would just get it b/c u will most likely be looking to get x64 in a year when games will support it.

driver issues are not an issue for me, i found them for everything. my digital camera and video camera drivers were autmatically installed by windows. printer has a 64bit driver. i even found a driver for my xbox controller.

I've yet to see any 64bit games actually faster even say 5%...also if it isn't rendered correctly to begin with, *any* framerate number is invalid.

I deleted my XP64 partition off my game rig, I still screw around with it on another box though.

Well, I am running fifa06, farcry, BF2, JOPS, F1S2000 and they all perform just as well as x86 XPsp2. All background activity is less of a problem in x64, because it does faster housekeeping.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've gone whole-hog to x64. While games may not necessarily run faster on x64, in my experience the OS is slightly more stable overall. Not to mention that if the devs do release a 64-bit version of a game, there is an improvement (usually, HL2 is a rare exception with that physics bug on the last level). Farcry doesn't run faster with the 64-bit version, but there's more content added without a loss of FPS. And there are other games I don't have that have also had 64-bit versions released. In my opinion, it is definitely worth going to x64.

• 1 month later...

is it possible to have 64bit xp and run hl2 in 32bit mode? i had this problem where i got near the end of the game and theres a part of the game where everytime i reach it, the program will shut down and exit.

ive also got a amd 4200 x2 and ati 1800 xt

as of now no.

some games however can take advantege of 64bit, farcry for example.

however 64bit windows does not give any preformance addvantege OR disadvantege for 32 bit games.

farcry 64 was very f***ing bugged up for me! it crashed alot. but the 32bit vers was fine...

@Silverscreen:

you can force 32bit half life 2 but you will lose your save point since they are incompatible for some reason, to do this you can use the -32bit flag

you can set that flag by going to the props of the game and using the "Set launch options" button.

i guss 64bit is not quite ready yet, while it "can" work there are not enough advanteges for some people

• 2 weeks later...

hi !

I'm using w xp & Suse x64-s, and w xp 32, but as far, i'm not so satisfied with 64 bit systems. exactly xp x64. there' no fastest operations, as i thought. and ! there's more failure, blue-death, slow working than 32 bits windows xp. Now i'm trying to get the maximum out of xp x64 with this useful app nlite. hope to be able to bring some power to x64. otherwise i say goodbye to x64s and return to 'normal' (32 bits).

respects