New dvd and dvd rw

dirtwarrior

I just installed a new dvd rom and dvd rw in girlfriends computer. I get dvd audio in both drives but no dvd video,in both drives. She has xp sp2. In my computer I had no trouwith dvd audio or video. I have tried some codec do I need something else? I tried video lan still didnt work.

Thanks

But he tried videolan and that should work without external codecs or software. Just like MPC (which is my favorite ).

I'm more thinking in the direction videocard/directx. Check (overlay) videosettings and run dxdiag to see if all is ok.

But he tried videolan and that should work without external codecs or software. Just like MPC (which is my favorite ).

I'm more thinking in the direction videocard/directx. Check (overlay) videosettings and run dxdiag to see if all is ok.

It has video card in the mainboard. What do I need to check?

controlpanel-->display--settings-->advanced. (Win98SE, perhaps a bit different in XP)

Here should be some settings for the videocard, depending on the drivers. Onboard or not is the same, it's still a videocard.

DirectX installed OK?

hope this helps

offtopic: Why o why is it that when you are good with computers, and can always help yourself, you always run into problems when you work on the computer from the woman you want to impress the most????? :unsure:

I downloaded win dvd trial. It said to lower screen resolution to 800x600 I did and dvd plays in windvd but only for 29 more days.

Which kinds of codec do I need for media player 9? Would I be able to raise my screen resolution?

Hi there again, (late sorry)

You could try this one overhere. It's a free one

Dscaler forum

But I must say that for me (Win98se) it's not working in any player. It seems that I cannot get the codec registered ok........maybe you are more lucky.

I keep wondering why videolan does not work for you. Also the 600X800 maximum seems very strange to me. Unless the (onboard)videocard is very outdated and capable of nothing.

It's not a shareware restriction in the software?

I realize that it's not the solution you ask for but is trying MPC a option?

This one has also internal DVD support , subtitles and menus included. If this and videolan won't work on your system than codecs are unlikely to be the cause of your problem. (but you do need them for WMP9/10, that's correct)

edit:

Whoopps, there is more:

DVD for WMP10 from official microsoft site

Perhaps is this one better, I can't test (win98se, no DVD in WMP)

Edited by noguru