Windows Desktop Search

x9731091

I have setup an unattended install (XP) running from a RIS server. The batch file contains the following:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\WindowsDesktopSearch\WindowsDesktopSearch-KB907371-V2-x86-ENU.exe /passive "/norestart"

Yet it still prompts to restart. This causes problems for any application following this one in the list. I know I can add this to the bottom of the list as a workaround but that method isn't really 'elegant'.

Does anyone have any ideas?

i dont use windows desktop search.

why you put quotes around the switch /norestart? try without the quotes, they are not necessary.

also have you tried to extract files from the archive?

Without the quotes the problem remains. The reason I used them is because it is a nested switch as such.

Similarly

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\WindowsDesktopSearch\WindowsDesktopSearch-KB907371-V2-x86-ENU.exe "/passive "/norestart""

Does not work.

If I run WindowsDesktopSearch-KB907371-V2-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart directly from the commandline, it works fine. For some reason in the batch file it is not working. Strange behaviour.

WDS only supports the following parameters:

/help

/quiet

/passive

/norestart

/forcerestart

/warnrestart

/promptrestart

/overwriteoem

/nobackup

/forceappsclose

/integrate

/log

The issues seems to be with how it runs in the batch file, for example (I should have mentioned this earlier)

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\WindowsDesktopSearch\WindowsDesktopSearch-KB907371-V2-x86-ENU.exe /passive

works fine, but

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\WindowsDesktopSearch\WindowsDesktopSearch-KB907371-V2-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

does not

The /quiet option also solves the problem of the dialogue box that appears asking if you want to restart. I'm not sure why the /norestart option, i.e. the second parameter being passed, wasn't working before (perhaps a corrupt file); I recreated it and it started working fine.

I was hoping that /passive /norestart would also not show the restart dialogue box, but unfortunately it does.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded.

Heathuff - offtopic but I would use the enterprise edition of WDS if you don't want the toolbar.

/quiet /norestart works obviously

has anyone compared it to googles´ desktop search? up to now i used neither the one nor the other. but as i'm getting older and harddisks become alrger almost every day this tool might become a necessity in the future :-)

"/quiet /norestart works obviously" Yes, but it wasn't and that was the point. It does however work now as I explained.

I found it to be faster and WDS also has adm templates for GP use; I'm not sure that Googledesktopsearch offers the same.

2.6.5 of WDS also autocloses Outlook without the need for a switch.

Edited by x9731091

Actually Google offers a nice neat .msi file for GPO deployment and an .adm file for managing it. Even I prefer Microsoft's desktop search product to Google's, I find it mildly ironic that Google's product is so much easier to deploy and manage.

• 2 months later...