W2k vs Xp

Squeeto

A while back I ran some tests with variations of xp and 2k. Today I added to my list. This is just a barebones OS (no applications installed). All the favors that XP does for me don't work. I'm slowly getting my way down to FDV levels whilst maintaining the IE core.

HFSLIP'd OS		 Handles Threads Processes  Commit OS Footpnt  I386 Size
================================================================================
XPSP1/dx9/codecs 2702 182 12 57meg 377 meg 153 meg
XPSP2/codecs 2750 180 14 55meg 376 meg 150 meg
2k/IE6/dx9/codecs 1713 120 11 55meg 299 meg 125 meg
2K/FDV/dx9/codecs* 1944 149 12 49meg 379 meg 228 meg
2K/FDV/dx9/codecs** 1765 139 12 46meg 279 meg 138 meg

2KFDVIE6 1446 120 11 33MEG

2K/ie6/dx9/codecs* 1737 126 11 50meg 289 meg 228 meg <-hfslip red. 1/27/06
2K/ie6/dx9/codecs* 1700 130 12 35meg 245 meg 100 meg <-hfslip red. 1/27/06

* FDV fileset with DX9C/codecs, not NLITE'd.

** FDV's fileset with DX9/codecs, not NLITEd. It was reduced with a reduction fileset that Oleg2 and I were putting together.

Edited by tommyp

Is it time yet for hfslip to go mainstream. Could a good, short tutorial with no choices (ie less to screw up) be written for the general masses? I find that my system is less vulnerable to attacks with the FDV fileset and the latest fixes. What a way to combat viruses by cleaning up Windows.

Provide a generic system with replacements (dirms, win32pad, myuninst, mpui, etc) and the latest hotfixes.

No codecs, reductions or drivers. Drivers, codecs can be installed after like most people do.

Just a thought.

Plus, people who just NEVER read directions

Ok, hfslip with fdv fileset already in - no windows explorer, a few most common tweaks, sp4 and a (hehe) frontend gui with a few buttons to search for the original Windows CD location for i386 and the directory where the individual has downloaded the recommended replacement apps. :lol:

Just a thought :rolleyes:

2K is great. Very lightweight and no "favors" are done for you that compromise your system. I get a kick out of the NLITE die-hards who strip enough out their XP so it looks like 2K. Why not just start with a lightweight OS to begin with? Honestly, the only thing I like about XP is the "cleartext" for the LCD monitors. Other than that, it's not my cup of tea.

A little prob I have with XP is that when doing serious multitasking, and if you want to delete a folder, the OS won't let you. So you close each application one at a time until nothing is running at all. Even after doing that, you still can't delete that folder. Only after rebooting can you delete it. This isn't a one time occurance. It happens quite frequently for me. Well, another issue I have is the crashing shell. It starts up again, but all my systray stuff is gone. I don't know about the rest of the computing community, but I kind of like having a shell that doesn't crash. The only time I had 2k BSOD me was when my hard drive bit the dust. I had more BSODs with XP, even with functional hard drives.

My 2 cents to solve this issue:

explorer.inf

[Version]Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]

AddReg = AddReg

DelReg = DelReg

UpdateInis = UpdateInis

[AddReg]

;Q240130 Disable the "Getting Started with Windows 2000" Dialog Box

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\tips","Show",0x00010001,0x0

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ClassicViewState",0x00010001,0x0

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ShowSuperHidden",0x00010001,0x0

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","Hidden",0x00010001,0x1

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","HideFileExt",0x00010001,0x0

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","SeparateProcess",0x00010001,0x1

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ShowCompColor",0x00010001,0x1

;Clear the Page File at System Shutdown

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","ClearPageFileAtShutdown",0x00010001,0x1

[DelReg]

[updateInis]

cmdlines.txt

[Commands]
"rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 .\explorer.INF"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm an XP hater and avoided it in every way. But now it seems that I will have to use XP on one PC.

I am building myself a media center / HT PC. Started this little project because the local cable tv provider is beginning to reduce analogue channels and putting in more and more digital ones (DVB-C). Capturing TV with some digital settop boxes is not so good because with most of them you'd have to grab an analogue out signal from the box and then re digitize it - not quite good (exception are some boxes with harddisk where you can grab the files from the hd afterwards). So I thought build yourself a HTPC.

Now from the hardware side I got everything more or less running. Software I was pretending to use w2k as system. I evaluated some htpc software (sceneo tvcentral...). Windows mce I really don't want to use. Then I found Media Portal (MP) - an open source HTPC software that I tried and like a lot.

Got MP running under w2k fine except the DVB-C television. Well got it running after registering some XP files but running in a way that's not quite usable.

So now I'm playing around with XP - where the TV runs OK. But I find XP really lame. I hate it when XP always tries to tell me what I should do (PostBootReminders and so on) - I'm a power user and I know what I want to do... XP maybe is fine for a newbie or normal user, but for a power user it's an insult. I'm not wondering why power users switch to linux since ms is really neglecting power users.

For things where I needed two clicks under w2k now I need 4 under XP - really great!

Now I'm investigating how to get rid of most of the useless stuff right on install - at least a lot can be done by registry settings, that can be included in hfslip (turning off some useless services, use classic desktop/start menu from the first start and so on). Yea and finally this PC will run only one software - Media Portal - so I will survive it.

This little project now is coming to it's final stages and I have to say that a well configured HTPC is realy a great thing for the living room.

Yeah, even if you can't EVER give up gaming on windoze like me, building a htpc is a great start to really dig into linux as long everything has drivers. (I lurk around a good bit at the AVS forums)

FDVs no ie stuff has made formerly too slow and old pieces of crap very usable computers. I finally have a laptop I risk using pretty much *anywhere*.

Edited by Aluminum