Automatic USB Installation

twm1010

I'm having an issue similar to the user in another post, where an n-lite custom installation will not autodetect USB devices at the logon screen or run thru the wizard automatically. This affects my most common hardware peripherals like Mice and Keyboards and has quickly become a pain in my side as I would really prefer to use my n-lite CD.

It really becomes a problem when you've ghosted 30 computers off of one hooked to a KVM then you go to deploy it and you plug a mouse and keyboard right in and they won't work because it insists on running the found new hardware wizard with a user logged in, someone want to figure this one out?

tom

[Main]

Env = 1.0 RC7 - 2.0.50727.42.Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Target = Windows XP Professional Sp2 - build 2180 - English (United States)

[Tasks]

Remove Components

Unattended Setup

Patches

Tweaks

Create a Bootable ISO

Options

[Components]

;# Applications #

Games

Internet Games

Pinball

;# Compatibility #

Compat01

Compat02

Compat03

Compat04

Compat06

Compat07

Compat08

Compat09

Compat10

Compat11

Compat12

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]

clock.avi

[Options]

ClassicSetup

BlackSetupBack

GuestName = ""

AdminName = ""

ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"

TargetPath = "WINDOWS"

temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

AdvTweaks

isovol = WinLite

isoatt = -allow-multidot -no-iso-translate -relaxed-filenames -allow-leading-dots -N -l -d -D -joliet-long -duplicates-once -no-emul-boot -b boot.bin -hide boot.bin -hide boot.catalog

[Patches]

TcpIp = 10

UsbPoll = 125

DoSFC

[services]

Themes,2

StiSvc,3

AppMgmt,3

AudioSrv,2

CiSvc,3

ClipSrv,4

CryptSvc,2

ERSvc,2

EventLog,2

HidServ,4

HTTP,3

HTTPFilter,3

IpNat,3

NDProxy,3

NetDDE,4

NetDDEdsdm,4

Netman,3

PlugPlay,2

ProtectedStorage,2

RemoteRegistry,2

SamSs,2

SCardSvr,3

seclogon,2

SENS,4

SharedAccess,2

SysmonLog,3

TapiSrv,3

TrkWks,2

UPS,3

VSS,3

W32Time,2

Wmi,3

xmlprov,3

LanmanWorkstation,2

RasAuto,3

RasMan,3

RemoteAccess,4

IpFilterDriver,3

IpInIp,3

NwlnkFlt,3

NwlnkFwd,3

Ip6Fw,3

ALG,3

DHCP,2

DNSCACHE,2

PolicyAgent,2

NLA,3

LMHosts,2

Alerter,4

Browser,2

NetLogon,3

Messenger,4

RpcLocator,3

NtLmSsp,3

LanmanServer,2

[Tweaks]

Explorer-Add 'CMD Shell' to all Drives and Folders

Explorer-Classic Control Panel

Internet Explorer-Disable Go Button

Internet Explorer-Set Homepage-www.google.com

Internet Explorer-Set IE-Cache limit to-200 MB (default)

My Computer-Add Device Manager to Context Menu

My Computer-Add Services to Context Menu

Network-Enable Remote Desktop (XP Pro only)

Privacy-Disable Driver Update Internet prompt

Privacy-Remove Alexa Spyware

Security-Disable Antivirus notification

Security-Disable Firewall notification

Security-Logon Page-Classic

Speed-Disable Optimize harddisk when idle

Speed-Use Windows classic folders / No Tasks Sidepanel

Start Menu-Disable popup on first boot

Start Menu-Do not use Personalized Menus

Taskbar-Disable Balloon Tips

Taskbar-Disable Language-Bar

Taskbar-Disable Windows Tour popup

Visual Effects-Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing-Disable

Visual Effects-Fade effect on menus and tooltips-Disable

Visual Effects-Show shadows under mouse pointer-Enable

Visual Effects-Show translucent selection rectangle-Disable

Visual Effects-Show window contents while dragging-Disable

Visual Effects-Slide open combo boxes-Disable

Visual Effects-Slide taskbar buttons-Disable

Visual Effects-Smooth edges of screen fonts-Enable

Visual Effects-Smooth-scroll list boxes-Disable

Windows Media Player-Accept Privacy Statement

[unattended]

UnattendMode = FullUnattended

DisableOem

ComputerType = Automatic

HibernationNo

FirewallOff

DisableSRestore

MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12

DefaultThemesOff

DefaultStartPanelOff

ProgFilesPath = "C:\Program Files"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]

[Hotfixes]

Forgive me for not fully understanding nLite's logging, but does the sheer presence of the usbpoll entry indicate that you've changed the polling rate? I ask because 125 is the default so it wouldn't make sense if that were the case. However, if you did in fact change the polling rate, that would cause USB drivers to become unsigned which would probably explain why the hardware won't automatically install.

I'll give it a shot I'll redo my nlite CD today and leave that page out altogether and see what happens. Also to add info to the issue, it doesn't matter if I use integrator to pull your pack in or if I let n-lite do it.

it would appear we are spot on, this causes driver recompression which in turn causes it to hang and not install drivers silently for USB devices, however, once logged in it wants to finish driver installation

• 11 months later...

I'd like to know this too, and I'm bumping an ancient topic because 1) it's what I found when I searched, and 2) it's better than starting a whole new topic to discuss this problem yet again.

I do seem to have the same problem... it seems nLite almost always causes this problem no matter what I do. Until recently, that is, when yesterday morning I had to repair Windows on my laptop so I made a matching, untweaked/unpatched/un"option"ed nLite installation from which to "repair" my Windows installation. I only removed components I removed on the original installation (using oeminfo.ini to guide me, damnit, why can't nLite include Last Session.ini in the windows folder?), which included no drivers. But nLite still did driver recompression, which worried me that driver.cab wouldn't be "signed" anymore. But sure enough, I go to plug a USB keyboard/mouse receiver in, and it installed all its 5 or 6 components without any New Hardware dialogs. I had those before and it was driving me nuts!

So what is it that not-tweaking did, that caused it to work right this time? The patches I usually do on every nLite CD are, 100 connections, no USB polling change, disable SFC, and enable uxtheme patch. I usually leave all drivers in place for my main PC's OS so I can use it as a reference on other PCs, but no matter what I always got the new hardware boxes.

I think I'm going to play around with virtual PCs for a while, see if I can't figure it out myself while I wait for the never-coming helpful reply. :D

Edited by Volatus

You're right! For some unknown reason, all these times I had been re-using my Last Session.ini files from one PC to the next, I always had "remove cat files" checked under the integration advanced options. Nuhi should really put those options more out in the open - nobody needs that much space for an integration list!

Anywho, looks like I got my question answered. Now the question is, how are so many people having this problem (by a search, it seems really common!) without really knowing about having checked that option? =\

Nuhi should really put those options more out in the open - nobody needs that much space for an integration list!

I agree, put all where "Advanced" is or change the colour of Advanced, a quick fix.

I mean:

Instead of Advanced, have Direct Integration there, and all the others on the right side.....

Would be much better to get the info when holding the mouse over it than in Advanced.

Well those options are Advanced so you don't tamper them too much, also I don't see what is unclear about this:

"Remove Catalog files"

"If you integrate more than 150 hotfixes you can use this to speedup install. This will be applied only if SFC is disabled in the Options - Patches.

Caution: This will cause more prompting for driver installations, making them unsigned."

If this CAT perversion wasn't requested so much I would never put such option, it's not big, not in the memory, not on my radar.

I have this exact same problem for months now. This is a serious issue which needs some attention.

My first test without removed catalog files was unsuccessful... I do use a custom logonui.exe, could that be the cause?