Limit the size of C:\ partition

Hello everybody,

I would like to know if someone has a method to limit the partition c:\ to 20 or 30 Gb for example during an unattented installation.

I do not want to use, a Bart Pe way.

First of all is it possible?

Thanks

Hello everybody,

I would like to know if someone has a method to limit the partition c:\ to 20 or 30 Gb for example during an unattented installation.

I do not want to use, a Bart Pe way.

First of all is it possible?

Thanks

From my understanding you cannot specify a default C partition using the unattend method. If you activate the autopartition option it will format your entire drive as the C drive. I think their are 3rd party apps that will create a partiton and start the install but I dont use them, somebody else here should know how to do it.

-Matt

You would need some kind of 3rd party product to create a boot menu that would allow you to partition the disk first. I would look into Diskpart.exe from Microsoft. Diskpart can read a text file that serves as a answer script to create and format partitions. You just need a utility that will boot the cd and launch the utility for you.

Once that task is complete you can have then launch Windows install from there.

Good luck.

FWIW,

An alternative is to use Ghost's GDisk utility. Since I'm creating images as well using Ghost I have the util as part of the package. I have to say that since I started using Ghost, many many moons ago, this one util has made the entire purchase well worth it. It's basically fdisk from the command line.

As far as defining this in the unattended routine, I think you're limited if the partition is not already there.

Diskpart.exe: Diskpart Command Line Utility

Install it and copy diskpart.exe (and diskpart.txt also) to winpe or bartpe cd path (%windir%).

i've tested the solution on BartPe, from the command prompt i execute "diskpart.cmd" .

But an error appears : " The disk management services could not complete the operation

How can i solve this?

insert this to diskpart.cmd (before diskpart.exe line)

%windir%\system32\net start dmadmin

• 2 years later...
disk.cmd:

diskpart.exe /s Diskpart.txt

echo y | %SYS32%\FORMAT C: /fs:ntfs /q

Diskpart.txt:

select disk 0

clean

create partition primary size=20000 (or 30000)

assign letter c

active

exit

A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility

I've got a good install disk of winxp full unattented now and want to partition my disk. We've got disks of 160gb on all business machines and the idea is to put an install dvd and wait till it finishes. I'm using Runoncex.cmd to install all my applications.

Can I use this of disk.cmd yours? I don't think so otherwise my winxp install will be deleted. :wacko:

I want a C: partition of 30gb and D: is all the rest.

Thanks if you can help me :thumbup