Overclock 7900GT

Aegis

An overclocked 7900GT can easily reach 7000+ 3DMarks in the 2006 edition:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3437&s=3

Only problem is you have to unlock the voltage. It's suppose to be as easy as following these instructions:

http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=3330&s=2

Now what I'm about to ask here might be a stupid question, but for those of us who have never taken a single electronics class, how do we even begin? How do you remove a resistor? How do you connect to ground? What's a 50K VR and how do you replace it?

Aegis,

Get a solder sucker/solder wick to remove solder/components. Becareful here as you don't want to damage the traces or pads. Get a grounding strap, a wristband that connects to a grounded workbench. 50K VR is a 50,000 ohm Variable resistor. You will also NEED a AVM Analog Volt Meter or a DVM Digital Volt Meter. That pencil stuff is fun. OC'd my athlons using that method.

Replacement:

1. Using the grounding strap connect to GROUNDED work bench. If you don't you can damage the components on the board. (Don't let the smoke out)

2. You need a GOOD soldering iron and electronics solder.

3. Solder sucker or use solder wick to remove the solder from the backside of the board (where the components legs stick out from backside of PC Board).

4. Remove component, clean the solder holes real good with solder flux, soldering iron and solder wick. This will remove any stray solder from the holes.

5. Put Variable resistor in and solder.

6. Adjust VR according to their discussion.

If you blow something up I am NOT RESPONSIBLE!!

jd

Edited by 03GrandAmGT

i would seriously advise ppl to not try these kind of modifications unless they are extremely good with a soldering iron and a pure power fanatic. its not like those cards are slow anyway.

Well I guess Ripken and ScubaSteve are right on this one...There's a likely chance I'll screw something up :P...maybe burn myself with the soldering iron too. Really wanted that 30FPS increase too...

Edited by Aegis

Well I guess Ripken and ScubaSteve are right on this one...There's a likely chance I'll screw something up :P...maybe burn myself with the soldering iron too. Really wanted that 30FPS increase too...

Aegis,

Just get some SCRAP components, PCB and try it. After all you weren't born already making the Gamer's Edition. You had to learn programming. Hardware is no different really, just practice it. Or if you know someone close that has the abilities have him/her do it. WATCH-N-LEARN. Alot of people are scared soldering surface mount components, being a hardware field support person I don't have the luxury of all the neat soldering tools for surface mount components. I just use my standard Weller Bench soldering iron that I have had for as long as I have been with the company 12+ years.

jd

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused why I'm getting these strange results. At the core clock of 553MHz I'm hitting 9130 3DMarks, then if I up it to 554MHz I hit 8600. Can upping it one megahertz really lower your score 500 points? Or is this just standard deviation :P? And then I tried increasing the clock to 567 and I hit 9160. Only 30 more points for an increase of 13MHz?

core clocks, then put the vertex and pixel shaders on multiplers, some times a lower clock, will hit the right vertex/pixel shader unit overclock

where a higher clock, will throw it on a lower multi, slowing down the vertex/ps.

cant explain it any better, w/o finding my source.

Edited by gdogg

• 2 weeks later...
core clocks, then put the vertex and pixel shaders on multiplers, some times a lower clock, will hit the right vertex/pixel shader unit overclock

where a higher clock, will throw it on a lower multi, slowing down the vertex/ps.

cant explain it any better, w/o finding my source.

Here is a good source:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...341&postcount=1

And while I'm at it:

capture0910sh.th.jpg

..pretty good numbers for a 680/1800MHz clock...achieved with a 1.4v mod... ;)