Folder Option Not Available.

WDGC

The reference to "Managing pairs of Web pages and folders" and the three radio button entries at Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Advanced Settings, in this thread at Ars Technica Forums has caught my attention.

I'm using XP Pro SP2 and these entries aren't present in my installation either. I find this somewhat disconcerting and wonder how common this omission is; has anyone an explanation and possible remedy?

This option is not a standard component of Windows XP, so if you don't have Microsoft Office XP (or higher) installed, you won't have that option. You can add the registry entries for this if you'd like, but I don't know if it'll work properly without Office installed (never tried it myself):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Thickets]
"Text"="Managing pairs of Web pages and folders"
"HelpID"="TBD"
"Type"="group"
"Bitmap"=hex(2):25,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,69,00,72,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,\
00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,5c,00,53,00,48,00,45,00,4c,00,\
4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,44,00,4c,00,4c,00,2c,00,34,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Thickets\AUTO]
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"Type"="radio"
"ValueName"="NoFileFolderConnection"
"HelpID"="TBD"
"Text"="Show and manage the pair as a single file"
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer"
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Thickets\NOHIDE]
"Text"="Show both parts but manage as a single file"
"HelpID"="TBD"
"Type"="radio"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Thickets\NONE]
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"Type"="radio"
"HelpID"="TBD"
"Text"="Show both parts and manage them individually"

This option is not a standard component of Windows XP, so if you don't have Microsoft Office XP (or higher) installed, you won't have that option. You can add the registry entries for this if you'd like, but I don't know if it'll work properly without Office installed (never tried it myself):

Thank you for you reply and the registry entries. As I don't have Office XP installed, this undoubtedly accounts for the absence of the "Managing pairs of Web pages and folders" entry. If I decide to add the registry entries I will let you know the result.