Large Font choic in Display Properties Appearance

may2001b

I have created a bootable CD with nLite - it is my best effort so far, only two or three relatively minor things are not how I want them. The one that is the worst is in Display Properties, on the Appearance tab, I've lost the ability to choose Large Fonts - Did I eliminate the large fonts? I chose every option that I thought would keep the choice of Larg Fonts and Extra Large Fonts. I do want to lose most of the dead wieght but I can't read the screen or menus with the so called normal size fonts. What should I do? Did I miss something? I searched the forum, but couldn't find anyting - Mayber I need a better search term.

• 1 year later...

Same problem. Does anybody know how nLite removes large font support? There is no such option in nLite. Some have mentionned that it was caused by removing "extra fonts" but it still happens when it is unchecked.

My ini file is attached.

Last_Session.ini

Edited by TechKing

Some part of the explanation.

There is very little information on this on the www and most people mix up things. This clarification might help solving the problem.

-"Large fonts" refers to the options desktop right click/properties/appearance tab/font size drop-box. It only blows up the windows title font. It does not increase the size of icon labels on the desktop for exemple.

-120 dpi has nothing to do with large fonts. It refers to the option desktop right click/properties/settings tab/advanced button/general tab/DPI setting drop-box. Choosing it increases all the font sizes in Windows (window titles, menus, icon labels, etc).

It looks like if you have a small screen (like an eee pc screen) that can not display more than 800x600, the 120dpi setting is not available, whether nLite has been used or not. If the maximal true resolution of the screen is more than 800x600, the 120 dpi is available even if the resolution has been lowered to 800x600.

What is the point of using 120dpi to blow up screen characters instead of changing the "large font" setting? The large font setting only affects the window title font, and not the size of icon labels on the desktop for example. Everything remains difficult to read on a small screen. The 120 dpi blows up everything proportionnally and most software have been tested to work properly in 120 dpi, so chopped off menu items are pretty rare.

After lots of testing, I don't think the problem is with nLite, but with Windows.