linux distro, which one?

ok, I am installing linux, and was wondering if I could have some help finding the right distro, here are my machine specs

1gig of ram

ati radeon x800pro 256

linksys wusb54g version 2.0

floppy drive

120gig 7200rpm hdd

intel p4 520 2.8ghz with ht

built in sound and ethernet on an asus p5gd1

here is what I wish to do on it, and some specs I want it to adhere to

I will be using it to play multimedia files, ie pictures, videos, music in a variety of formats

I will be programming c++ on it(this is lee essential though)

internet browsing with mozilla

connect to my network, it is wireless and has all windows comps on it

word processing in all formats, including ms formats

the ability to run many programs such as xbc that were built for windows(this is less essential)

most importantly, the ability to play my favorite games, which are

1.Far cry

2.Unreal 03

3this isnt as important but rise of nations

finally, I would like to be able to run programs on other comps running the same distro, and have the programs show up on my screen

I'd say the same as what simonsays said.

But forget about this part:

the ability to run many programs such as xbc that were built for windows(this is less essential)

most importantly, the ability to play my favorite games, which are

1.Far cry

2.Unreal 03

3.rise of nations

its POSSIBLE to use an emulator (wine) to run windows games, but directx games such as the above, would either not run at all, or run very bad. Why not just buy the linux version of the games you want? (you can get ut2k3/ut2k4 for linux, but farcry & RON are windows-only)

about games, far cry runs decently (reference) under cedega, not the same for rise of nations and for ut2k3 there's a native installer.

in my experience i've been able to run and play games such as doom3, ut2k4, quake4 without issues (maybe better than on windows). others such as counter-strike, nfs: most wanted and diablo 2 are fully playable but need emulation; actually i'm playing all of those and i'm impressed how smooth these three run even emulated :thumbup

as an advice if you want a gaming system don't look for a linux distro :)

as any other program for debian, install the .deb package (sudo dpkg -i nameofpackage.deb), launch it and configure it ;)

1 thing: cedega is not free, and it will require a "local-upgrade" which is something like the engine it uses.

alternatively you can use WineX which is free, you better take a deeper look on http://www.linux-gamers.net/, section 'howtos' nor loki installers.

it will take you a time to learn how everything works but believe me, on a couple of days you'll be running windows stuff like if you were... well on windows :P

so?

cendega = gaming use

wine = general apps use

winex = same as wine but with better compability?

crossxoffice = office and productivity use

wow there's a lot choice there...

• 2 weeks later...