HFSLIP vs. Norton Ghost

jlsporty

Hello all,

I was just online researching a good way to create a win2k cd with SP4, IE6, and all current critical updates when I came across this forum. My question is what do you feel is the advantage of using this type of solution (HFSLIP) over Norton Ghost or some sort of disk image utility?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I've read through a number of posts on here and it looks like you are quite a knowledgable group of people.

Wow, I'm suprised you haven't been flamed yet. The majority of people here will tell you the only way to go is with a slipstreamed unattended install. Which is great if you are doing and install here and there.

But if you are looking to deploy to a room full of systems or company wide, and you don't have a RIS server or equiv. setup, then ghost or equiv. is the way to go.

I have done and still do both, it just depends upon the task. When building a training lab with 10+ computers and 18gb of software I use ghost. When loading a single users machine with 4 apps I use Unattended installs which I usually created manually but I have used nlite or hfslip in the past.

If I could I would probably use RIS for the general user installs and use ghost for the mega installs. But since I have no RIS and can't convince the powers to be to deploy one I'm stuck.

Edited by IcemanND

Wow, I'm suprised you haven't been flamed yet.
This is isn't the Firefox or Opera forums... I think that's what it is... :D

As far as I'm concerned, you can't really compare HFSLIP to Norton Ghost. For starters, an HFSLIP share is ready BEFORE installation and a Ghost image AFTERWARDS... :P

HFSLIP creates the base... the Windows CD. Norton Ghost makes a copy of a hard drive (in this case containing a Windows installation). That's two completely different things. The only "relation" between the two is that you can make an image of an HFSLIPped install.

Edited by Tomcat76

Actually they can be compared, and they do get compared here frequently. Look at the end result. After the install is finished and after you ghost that finished install to a new machine you have the same thing. The question is how you want to go about depoying and how many you are doing.

I want to emphasize to the initial posters that you use both.

You run HFSLIP, install, then you Ghost.

IMHO, though RIS comes with Windows and Ghost costs money, Ghost is the way to go for simplicity's sake. RIS requires a special network card, a properly configured 2003 with AD, and the planets in alignment (including Quaoar and Sedna).

Where is InTheWayBoy?

<shouts>

HEY! InTheWayBoy!!

InTheWayBoy is the man for RIS. He has used HFSLIP with RIS successfully. AND... he promised me a tutorial :D

Anyhoo let me PM him because we should get an update on that topic.

Thanks for everybody's opinion on the subject. I think what I'll do is go with a HFSLIP install for now and go with ghost later. Company won't buy ghost (i know, I know...) and I figure if they won't pay the cost of that they can pay my hourly/overtime wage for extra time I have to spend on whatever I'm doing.

Thanks again...

I do hope a Paypal button won't be jumping out at me the next time I run your script...
I'm still *waiting* for a PayPal button so that we can give a little back.