ATI 9800 Pro heat

HLDoom32768

Alright, I have an ATI 9800 Pro 128mb card. My question is, is there some way for me to speed up the fan on it? because it seems to get really hot, and I thought I heard people say they have used software to change the speed on the card. I know you can use software such as speedfan for system fans, but not GPU fans. How about the temp?

Do you know if the 9800 Pro even has a sensor build into it?

I seem to think it doesn't, as I have installed the ATI Tool but I don't see anything about temps in it, as people have told me that it is in there, or any fan speeds. I assume this is only because the 9800 Pro does not have a sensor, but I'm not sure...

You may have the option of unlocking the temp sensor. If you have the right board, you will need to not only flash the card w/ a new BIOS, but mod the hardware as well. Triple check that your card layout matches the list of eligable boards and back up your card's BIOS.

Check this out.... 9800 temp sensor

If heat is a concern now, it will be more so after a flashing it to an XT. So start now with inspecting your case cooling (make sure airflow is good along the card's path). If that isn't the problem, consider replacing the stock VGA heatsink with a better one. Artic Cooling's ATI Silencer or a Zalman VGA cooler are popular.

Are you getting artifacts? Are you overclocking it in any way? The 9800 series generally runs pretty toasty and the relationship between OC'ing and increased heat is exponential. Don't expect to get a comfortable OC without putting some $ into cooling.

Tight budget solutions to aid in cooling....

1. Replace stock thermal pad/paste with a quality thermal paste on the heatsinks.

2. If you have the time, lap your heatsinks then apply a quality thermal paste.

3. Volt mod your exhaust fan (downside is extra noise which can be controlled by soldering a temp control to the fan.)

4. Clean up the cables in your case for better airflow.

5. Cut up and lap an old heatsink to use on exposed ram chips on your 9800. Use thermal adhesive instead of thermal paste to keep them attached.

6. Put as much distance as possible between your AGP slot and used PCI slots. Sometimes removing a PCI slot cover underneath the AGP slot will help reduce heat buildup.

Also, remember.....the fact that your heatsinks are getting hot is a good thing (up to a certain point of course). It means that your chip is not cooking itself to death and a good thermal transfer exists between your chip and the heatsink. If it's an exposed chip that is getting hot, put a heatsink on it!

Since you don't want to put money into the cooling, about all you can do is increase airflow and try to decrease ambient air temp.

Just get a VGA Silencer and AS5 and your problem is solved. I used to have that card, now it's my gf's card. She plays Sims 2 (expansions) and has no problems other than the not-so-high FPS.

Are you getting artifacts? Are you overclocking it in any way? The 9800 series generally runs pretty toasty and the relationship between OC'ing and increased heat is exponential. Don't expect to get a comfortable OC without putting some $ into cooling.

Tight budget solutions to aid in cooling....

1. Replace stock thermal pad/paste with a quality thermal paste on the heatsinks.

2. If you have the time, lap your heatsinks then apply a quality thermal paste.

3. Volt mod your exhaust fan (downside is extra noise which can be controlled by soldering a temp control to the fan.)

4. Clean up the cables in your case for better airflow.

5. Cut up and lap an old heatsink to use on exposed ram chips on your 9800. Use thermal adhesive instead of thermal paste to keep them attached.

6. Put as much distance as possible between your AGP slot and used PCI slots. Sometimes removing a PCI slot cover underneath the AGP slot will help reduce heat buildup.

Also, remember.....the fact that your heatsinks are getting hot is a good thing (up to a certain point of course). It means that your chip is not cooking itself to death and a good thermal transfer exists between your chip and the heatsink. If it's an exposed chip that is getting hot, put a heatsink on it!

Since you don't want to put money into the cooling, about all you can do is increase airflow and try to decrease ambient air temp.

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure what you mean by the "Cut up and lap an old heatsink to use on exposed ram chips" I know where the RAM chips are and everything, but what do you mean when you say cut up an old heatsink? Like, just cut it up? would I then cut slits in it, to make it have the... I guess you could call it "building effect"?

I have already cleaned my wires out very well, and have them out of the way, and also have the PCI slot nearest the card open, yet it still gets very hot.

oh, and no. I am not OC it at all. I would like to, but as it is hot as it is, I have not OC it at all. I am looking into the 9800 PRO to XT mod, but I think I am just going to stick with what I have, as I can't seem to figure out what BIOS I would need to put on it, and how to do that...

The RAM doesn't get to bad, but it is still pretty warm, it is the GPU sink that is very hott. To hot to touch more then a few seconds...

Last question. when you say "If you have the time, lap your heatsinks then apply a quality thermal paste." what is that? I know what thermal paste, and pads are an all, so are you just saying replace the pad, or old paste, whatever is on there right now, with new stuff?

Just get a VGA Silencer and AS5 and your problem is solved. I used to have that card, now it's my gf's card. She plays Sims 2 (expansions) and has no problems other than the not-so-high FPS.

I assume AS5 = Artic Silver 5 right? I thought I heard that is the top thermal paste is that right? Thermal paste is thermal paste right? as in, I could use thermal paste for ANYTHING that has a heatsink right?

What would you recommd as a brand, as I have never bought any thermal paste?

I assume AS5 = Artic Silver 5 right? I thought I heard that is the top thermal paste is that right? Thermal paste is thermal paste right? as in, I could use thermal paste for ANYTHING that has a heatsink right?

What would you recommd as a brand, as I have never bought any thermal paste?

Artic silver was the first one that was so popular for tweakers back in 2000/2001, lost some reputation because of AMD CPUs that short-circuited when applying to much compound and it got to the resistors on top. It’s NO stuff for beginners and I would use ARCTIC COOLING MX-1 Thermal Compound to start with. ;)

To slice up a heat sink will get you this, these little cooling blocks come with a pad; just clean your chips from grease and stick the little blocks on the RAM.

To make a long story short: Get this, I know it’s 30 bucks but it’s worth it, even has the RAM sinks and paste (that works good enough!) with it :P.

Edited by puntoMX