Delete

bcerhart

Isn't redistributing or modifying any part of windows forbidden by MS ?

Of course, home users won't be bothered by lawyers but such things would maybe "break warranty" for windows and this could be an annoyance to companies.

I see no reason nlite could not be used for company purposes except the fact that MS has annoying lawyers.

PS: from a strict legal point of view I think update packs are not legal. However I doubt MS would won any lawsuit against something protecting end-users from flaws.

(though they forced WinUBCD to be renamed to UBCD4Win !)

Camarade_Tux, redistributing yes it's illegal, why even consider that.

Modifying...I think it's illegal only in some US countries, not sure in that but anyway it would be 'easy' for me to modify nLite to remove few questionable items and make some sort of commercial edition if I manage some time to support it.

Because update packs are sort of windows's parts redistribution I think. :} :?

As for modifying, I'll check what french laws say but I doubt it allows it (though reverse-engineering is allowed for compatibility purposes [making a visual theme compatible ?])

Regarding intergrating and have a centralized ISO for network installs in a corporate and educational stand point.

As i do with my Computer on the network, which each have their own legal CD/Product Key. I have one ISO that has updates up to a certian point intergrated such as Windows XP SP2 + updates up to June 30.

With that i can do my network installs of my computers with little worry of downloading mass updates updates, and it being an ISO image makes it better.

Camarade_Tux, certainly that hacks aren't allowed. I was saying more of any kind of tampering.

Integrating hotfixes only replaces them with signed MS files...that sounds legal too but it can be a tricky question I admit...there probably shouldn't be any kind of tampering IF you want to use MS support.

I can see where both sides have a good arguement, but in the IT world, time is money, as with everything else as well. We don't want to spend days, weeks, months customizing our xp builds we want it done NOW so we can move on to bigger and better things in the workplace, we dont have time to do it all ourselves, nlite is an incredibly useful tool and i don't see why it can't/shouldn't be used. I don't like using windows update as it takes forever and when doing updates it hogs bandwidth for other users.

if it were my decision, i'd say let it go for business, it'd help us/them a lot.

I can see where both sides have a good arguement, but in the IT world, time is money, as with everything else as well. We don't want to spend days, weeks, months customizing our xp builds we want it done NOW so we can move on to bigger and better things in the workplace, we dont have time to do it all ourselves, nlite is an incredibly useful tool and i don't see why it can't/shouldn't be used. I don't like using windows update as it takes forever and when doing updates it hogs bandwidth for other users.

if it were my decision, i'd say let it go for business, it'd help us/them a lot.

Alright, let's trim down this argument. I may question your work ethic if you have no interest in learning what you're doing. But if you were to use nLite to do something quick and dirty and then learn to do it yourself later, then i wouldn't question your work ethic.

Time is money in the business world, however, repairing broken system caused by a crippled OS is even more moeny. By that point, you've wasted not only YOUR work hours, but also the people's who use the computers. This just comes down to the lesser of two evils. Do it right the first time, or screw up and fix later on.

Now i'm not saying nLite screws it up (though, it could have been the cause if say you removed a service), but if used correctly, the Unattended portion to create the WINNT.SIF is no different from using MS's. It's the using of unsupported packs that the grey area is caused, and the removal of content should simply NOT be used in a corporate environment.

which is why you do lots and lots of tesing before you put things in to production.

i rarely ever use nlite to integrate things other than sp's and hotfixes, i rarely even use the unnattend portion or many of the tweaks lessening my risk of problem.

I don't use this in business yet, but am anxiously waiting for the go ahead

Edited by luke.mccormick

Camarade_Tux, certainly that hacks aren't allowed. I was saying more of any kind of tampering.

Integrating hotfixes only replaces them with signed MS files...that sounds legal too but it can be a tricky question I admit...there probably shouldn't be any kind of tampering IF you want to use MS support.

I think there won't be legal problems with updating files. But there is a slight possibility, so slight, it breaks something with windows installtion. For example, two DX8 files (dpnlobby.dll and dpnaddr.dll) are normally registered (regsvr32 way) but their DX9 versions can't be registered. I doubt this would cause any problem because when upgrading manually to DX9 these files are certainly unregistered.

I have no experience with "Gold" tech support but I think some may tell you "you did something that is currently unsupported therefore I can't help you.". And we agree this is too risky for business. :}

Tech support not always motivated. :/

(did you know most french tech supports are in fact located outside of France, in northern Africa ? :wacko: )