Delete

bcerhart

Any admin using nLite for creating corporate distributions should be shot. Don't get me wrong, nLite is great for home users looking to create a streamlined XP installation for gaming and such. But using nLite in a company environment is just plain incompetence.

Try explaining to your VP that his stock purchasing program doesn't work because you tweaked the XP install and deleted html help, or something similar. Unfortunately, in the Windows world, there are many inept admins doing things like this, they think they are doing advanced admin stuff because they can walk through nLite menus. There are usually the same people that use Ghost to distribute images to PC in their company.

1. don't tell M$ if you will make nlite for corporate/commercial use :D

2. direct or indirect if you use nlite you have to modified some setup files and the content of cd (of course a backup once, and how about if you didn't have the original legit cd?) and it will violated EULA if you still use it on corporate/commercial use

3. M$ charge some fee (license fee) every year for the corporate and every machine use xp should be unique or 1 license for 3 (or maybe 5?forgot it) pc and how about a company who use over 100 PC? will they pay a fee for modified winxp installation cd?

4. nlite credits (nuhi and its team), will corporate/commercial care about it? i think i will not care for who has create a custom winxp cd that i buy (whoever make it i only use it) and i care only the original cd, so how the corporate/commercial care?

thanks for nuhi and its team for creating nlite for home use only (for now) so we didn't have a BIG trouble with M$

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As Nlite Is its great for making mass customizations of workstations running WinXP. Namely it makes intergrating patches, drivers and applications easier. Also its naturaly compadable with Volume Licence Agreements. Its by no means as good as a drive imaging tool but its the right price.

I have a copy sitting at work but can't install / use it because of the licence specifficaly prohibiting bussness use. Where I used to work at a IT consulting firm/ VAR it again would have been very nice for fixing the machines that customers brought in that needed to be whiped and reinstalled.

Unless there is some legal prohibition preventing you from removing this language, could you please?

If not, I will have to manualy and painfully intergrate everything Post SP2 manualy and add drivers manualy which will be a bit of a pain.

using nlite for any business purpose is silly, especially in a corporate environment.

get some real IT staff that can do a professional job.

don't get me wrong, i love nlite, but using it in any business is NOT professional.

doing installs is just simply inefficient for massive rollouts.

I don't dispute that Nlite is inaperoperate for large rollouts, however for a smaller organization its another nice tool.

I am hoping to use it as a tempoary solution untill we get RIS/Ghost/True Image/whatever up and running.

We are talking about 2-3 PCs / week. Just large enough an opporation to need a decent way to set up PCs on a suficently regualr basis, at least untill we get some other important things done.

I am not asking weather its approperate for a bussness to occasionaly build a custom install CD from scratch useing Nlite, but weather the licence can be modifed to permit it.

DISCLAIMER:: I mean this in no way to disrespect nuhi or his program. These are MY OPINIONS on the matter.

I'm going to have to lean on the side of businesses shouldn't use nLite AT ALL. And now I'll explain...

If you want to get into licenses....

technically, most of the Addons probably violate one somewhere along the way. If they're not, you're in a way forcing users to accept a license they have no knowledge of when doing a silent installation.

No corporation or business should use RyanVM or the BTS packs and DEFINATELY NOT XPize. Some of the hotfixes in Ryan's pack aren't public fixes and are meant to fix specific issues, and could potentially cause more. If you're any sort of competitent IT person, you can add the hotfixes the MS way or install them via script upon first boot. True it takes longer, but god help you if you're lazy and don't want to do some work. As for the driverpacks, I really have no reason, except where I work we like to get the drivers ourselves for out systems (not that I have anything against Bashrat, it's more of a self security thing knowing where things came from). Then there's XPize...must we get into this? XPize is cosmetic and specifically alters system files (not update them like a hotfix does). If you wish to get into the "hacks" that are included in nLite for UXTHEME and such, no company would use them anyway (atleast no IT guy would up the number of connections within a network, nor allow for users to use unauthorized third party skins that could cause damage to a system).

If you're a friend installing for a friend, go for it. Let them know what you did. but when you have a mass system of machines that all have the same fault because you used a program...well....it's your fault.

I work in a place where we have to support some thousands of machines. We have MULTIPLE Windows installs configured for different systems, all custom scripted. It takes time to learn, but it's well worth it. You then know everything works properly and why it works.

Its not ideal but its a case of needing to run to stand still here. We have new users every week and I feel like we are runnign to stand still (at least for the next few weeks). Basicaly the company is a growing and has had trouble keeping up with IT needs (won't go into details).

Not useing the RyanVM packs is fine. I can do much of the config by hand. I have intergrated the fixes the MS way but don't know yet enough about drivers to sucessfully intergrate them. I can probably figure it out pretty quickly (it will be much better than what we are doing now).

Later on I am happy to learn how to scripting.

I should contact the creator about licencing it.

While I don't necessarily disagree with Alanoll's points on my pack, I will say in its defense that the use of private fixes is very limited overall with version 2.1.0. Only about about 10 of the 100+ fixes included are privately released and they've been including specifically to fix certain issues that have bugged users.

That being said, he's 100% correct that my method isn't a supported method by Microsoft, so in a corporate environment where network drives are gigantic and installation is being done over ethernet, installing them after the fact isn't a bad option.

But I still like my way better :P

While I don't necessarily disagree with Alanoll's points on my pack, I will say in its defense that the use of private fixes is very limited overall with version 2.1.0. Only about about 10 of the 100+ fixes included are privately released and they've been including specifically to fix certain issues that have bugged users.

That being said, he's 100% correct that my method isn't a supported method by Microsoft, so in a corporate environment where network drives are gigantic and installation is being done over ethernet, installing them after the fact isn't a bad option.

But I still like my way better :P

Ideally, a seperate SUS server would be ideal. Distributes the updates based on need.