Cannot Delete PST files.

SarahC

Hi there,

I have a user using Outlook 2002 in MS Office XP Standard. Recently he reached the maximum size in his personal folder so he tried to remove old data from this that he no longer needs in order to free up space.

However, when he tries to delete mails from this pst file he gets the following error: The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.

Obviously, restarting Outlook doesn't help!!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sarah

Check out www.slipstick.com.

You can also try opening Outlook.exe /cleanfreebusy (clears calendar stuff)

Or Outlook.exe /SAFE

Check out www.slipstick.com. Maybe look at SCANPST.EXE or PFBACKUP.EXE.

You can also try opening Outlook.exe /cleanfreebusy (clears calendar stuff)

Or Outlook.exe /SAFE

I would suggest if you can get Outlook open, that you archive some of the old data. You could also try renaming the original .pst file and creating a new one. Then open the original .pst and try and clean it out.

Hey,

Thanks for replies. I know where the pst file is located thanks nitroshift, that isn't the problem.

Hi tguy. I have no problem opening Outlook and I have already created a new pst file for the user so he is using that fine.

But, he wants to remove some data from the original pst file and that is when he gets the error I mentioned!! He's basically doing what you suggested below, trying to clear out the original pst but as I said, this error appears when he tries to delete anything from it. He has no other problem within outlook apart from this.

Thanks,

Sarah