98SE Tips & Techniques

citizeneman

Just a note, there are no 16-bit PE.

PE = Portable Executable = 32-bit

NE = New Executables = 16-bit

LE = Linear Executavles = 32 or 16-bit (.VXD, .386)

Petr

Another little correction ;)

If it's for me you're saying that, please point me out where else I needed to be corrected as you seem to infer it is all the time.

A word of warning about one of these "tips" :

It should be noted that using the Win ME version of Defrag in place of the 95/98/SE versions, as suggested in this thread and elsewhere too - is *NO* option on disks which use MS DoubleSpace / DriveSpace compression. (For all I know, DxxeSpace was removed from the crippled version of Windows akaWindows ME.) All it can do is defrag' the underlying uncompressed drive, which is generally moot anyway ,...but the code for defragging the compressed volumes is simply not in there :-(

HTH

--

Ninho

It should be noted that using the Win ME version of Defrag in place of the 95/98/SE versions, as suggested in this thread and elsewhere too - is *NO* option on disks which use MS DoubleSpace / DriveSpace compression. (For all I know, DxxeSpace was removed from the crippled version of Windows akaWindows ME.) All it can do is defrag' the underlying uncompressed drive, which is generally moot anyway ,...but the code for defragging the compressed volumes is simply not in there :-(

HTH

--

Ninho

Thanks for the update.

I've added this warning here:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TLS

in the text file the user views when SCANFRAG.EXE starts installing,

and here:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#WDIW

HTH

HTH

--

Ninho

I'm thinking that Gape's Service Pack replaces the original Defrag with a different one. Is the Win ME version of Defrag the one that comes in the Unofficial 98SE Service Pack?

ivman

I'm thinking that Gape's Service Pack replaces the original Defrag with a different one. Is the Win ME version of Defrag the one that comes in the Unofficial 98SE Service Pack?

ivman

Just the oldest versions (1.0 to 1.2) contain different Defrag, newer versions like 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1 don't.

Petr

ivman

Just the oldest versions (1.0 to 1.2) contain different Defrag, newer versions like 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1 don't.

Petr

I testing and use Defrag (winME) version: 4.90.3000 (czech version); no problems. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

1. I would like to change my MS Dos prompt/Command Prompt

icon to the cmd.exe from WinXP

2.I would like to create 2 new folders

with specific icons a Movie icon/Movie folder - Music icon/Music folder

without creating shortcuts

3.Is there a way to stop the internet games from advertising

4.Is there a way to get WinXP toolbar icons on my Win98SE toolbar without installing a package.

5.I had change my Windows USER.exe icon for the start button

but it is still the same.Whats wrong?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

1. Just extract the icon from cmd.exe and change the icon of the shortcut. (of course you need Xp for that. Can send you the icon if you want)

2. Create a file named desktop.ini in your folder with this in it:

[.ShellClassInfo]

IconFile=X:\Path\Filename.ico (which points out the icon you want to use for your folder)

And finally, make your folder read-only.

3. What do you mean? Like opening a web page when you're finished playing? Only a firewall I guess.

4. Revolution Pack is your friend but without a pack? Ok, you'll have to edit resources in XP shell32.dll, extract the toolbar bitmaps, reshack 98 browseui.dll and overwrite the matching bitmaps. The problem is Win98 doesn't support XP toolbar 32bit bitmaps so you'll have to convert them. Quite long and painfull...

5. I don't know... refresh / rebuild icon cache?

1. Just extract the icon from cmd.exe and change the icon of the shortcut. (of course you need Xp for that. Can send you the icon if you want)

2. Create a file named desktop.ini in your folder with this in it:

[.ShellClassInfo]

IconFile=X:\Path\Filename.ico (which points out the icon you want to use for your folder)

And finally, make your folder read-only.

3. What do you mean? Like opening a web page when you're finished playing? Only a firewall I guess.

4. Revolution Pack is your friend but without a pack? Ok, you'll have to edit resources in XP shell32.dll, extract the toolbar bitmaps, reshack 98 browseui.dll and overwrite the matching bitmaps. The problem is Win98 doesn't support XP toolbar 32bit bitmaps so you'll have to convert them. Quite long and painfull...

5. I don't know... refresh / rebuild icon cache?

none of these worked for me