Registering Aplications That Are Installed Unattended

catman915

I'm new to this and don't understand how to use a serial number for those programs that need it. I've noticed that there are ".reg" files used for some programs. Is there a tutorial that explains how to obtain the ".reg"(if they represent a serial number) files or enter the serial numbers for these programs? Would appreciate any assistance. Thanks

to get a reg file, you find it in the registry what you want to copy back in during install

so..

start, run

regedit (press enter)

95% of the time the serial will just be as text in the registry, so press F3 (to search) and type in a portion of the key

once its found it, right click the 'KEY' (folder) in regedit, and choose 'export' this will copy the key to wherever you save it.

press f3 again just incase its saved in HKCU and HKLM (CU is for the Current User, and LM is for the Local Machine) because some programs save to both the user AND to the machine (so all users can use it)

hi folks ive had some success with registry keys as in the way bledd describes but ive got 2 progs left to register after unattended install - magiciso and tuneup utilities

they both have 2 registry keys, ive exported and then transferred them to my unattended disc and run them but they still want registered, has anyone used these progs and registered them succesfully or has anyone got any other way to register them unattended

thanx again folks

im having this issue with tuneup utilities. i've exported my key and then imported it unattended but when i open the program i have to register it. maybe there's a bug or something with tuneup.

im having this issue with tuneup utilities. i've exported my key and then imported it unattended but when i open the program i have to register it. maybe there's a bug or something with tuneup.

No bug with tune up... just study about MSI installer.

You can add registry entry for your serial iniside MSI.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TuneUp\Utilities\5.0\]
"Company"="YourCompanyName"
"UserName"="YourName"
"RegCode"="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

@ mayang i use an exe file to install tuneup unattended

ive extracted the exe file and theres instmsi.msi, msiinst.exe and msiexec.exe and a load of dll files,

i can open instmsi.msi with notepad but cant see where to put -

"UserName"="YourName"

and if i was to edit this file how would i go about making these files in to the exe file again?

thanx in advance

@ mayang i use an exe file to install tuneup unattended

ive extracted the exe file and theres instmsi.msi, msiinst.exe and msiexec.exe and a load of dll files,

i can open instmsi.msi with notepad but cant see where to put -

"UserName"="YourName"

and if i was to edit this file how would i go about making these files in to the exe file again?

thanx in advance

A basic software to edit MSI installer, you can use Orca (get from Microsoft Platform SDK) or

use an advanced software like;

Installer Design Studio - www.scriptlogic.com

MSI Studio - www.avatarsoftware.net

WinInstall LE - www.ondemandsoftware.com

InstallShield AdminStudio - www.macrovision.com

and others MSI tools/editor/repackage software

You can't edit MSI using notepad.

After editing the MSI, you should compress or packing the MSI with winrar,winzip or 7zip to make Self Extractor (sfx), then the MSI will be inside them (.exe)