THE TEST

Maleko

Ok, I upgraded my comp, and my friend upgraded his, we both have identical specs apart from Processors.

Once we had them built we both ran 3DMark 2006 to see the difference.

The Rigs:

AMD:

ASUS A8N-SLi Premium

Athlon 64 3700 1MB L2 Cache

2GB Crucial Ballistixs PC4000

XFX nVIDIA 76GT 256MB XXX Edition

X2 WD 80GB SATAII RAID0

INTEL:

Asus P5ND2 SLi nForce4 SLi

Intel Pentium 4 630 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.0GHz (800FSB) with HT

2GB Crucial DDR2 PC4200

XFX nVIDIA 76GT 256MB XXX Edition

X2 WD 80GB SATAII RAID0

Both systems running XP PRO SP2, both running identical Drivers, and identical default settings.

So, before I post results, who do you think won? Also, what would the difference be, a big difference between the 2, or just a little difference?

i think that 3d mark is a gaming benchmark and because of this the AMD has won the battle.

The amd processors are faster then intel in gaming. that´s the reason because i like AMD more than intel.

is that right ? :thumbup

.raven

ive seen plenty of benchmarks in the past of AMD vs Intel, the AMD will absolutely spank the Intel in performance. Hence why Intel have had to go back to the drawing board to come up with these new "Conroe" based chips.

Those are not identical specs with exception of a processor. THAT would be my legacy box that has an ASUS P5A-B. I can put anything from an AMD K6 to a Rise MP6 in this box. Also, your ram will more than likely make the winner of this decisive battle.

Another variable has to do with the kind of preparations done before benchmarking. :)

I believe the Prescott would win.

Edited by Daemonforce

This is a comparison between an intel system and an AMD system, amd have yet to have DDR2 compatible, so this is a test between what the 2 different system CAN do.

In one aspect, what a intel system can do, and what an AMD sytem cant do, and visa versa.

This isnt an "offical" test, it just so happened we built similar systems and this is the comparison, i knew some people would say..."its different memory" of course it is, its intel!

Edited by Maleko

I remember reading about another test that was done with much closer to exact hardware and until the intel was overclocked to 6.0ghz the AMD beat it in everything and not a marginal victory, a sizeable one too.

I'm going to say AMD wins by 15-20% on 3d and 5-10% on PC.

The Intel needs to be overclocked. A 3.0GHz could probably do 3.6 with stock cooling.

Either way I think the results are going to be quite close.

Edited by LLXX