buying new HDD

Hi my old IBM HDD 80GB is getting old and it's working very wierd !!!!!

And i think i will buy a new one !!!

What should i buy ????? (Don't have much $$$)

My MB is not Sata compatible !!!!!

Do you have any suggestions (Maxtor, Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung,... ??????? )

And it must be above 200GB.......

Or should i wait until i have more money and buy SATA-II compatible MB and 300 SATA-II HDD ?????

One more thing is there any diffrence in speed between ATA, SATA, SATA-II ????????????

Please help

Edited by m16si

My recommendation is for a Western Digital 250GB drive. You can find 'em fairly cheap (Best Buy has them on sale in the US this week...PATA version for $90USD and SATA version for $100USD).

Just make sure your motherboard has support for hard drives larger than 137GB (48-bit LBA support). This can usually be added through a BIOS update (so make sure you have the latest BIOS).

What ever you buy, but don’t buy Maxtor, too much problems with those drivers.

I like Seagate and Samsung at this moment more then WD, although WD is good but does not have the same speed as the other ones due to old drive design.

Don’t worry so much that your motherboard doesn’t support SATA, PATA has the same average throughput as the SATA (II) drives, only the cache-flushes are faster (peek throughput) ;).

WD is good but does not have the same speed as the other ones due to old drive design

They've been updated. Among other things, they're using the newer motors so they're quieter. Even their SATA drives are native now (before they were PATA with on onboard SATA converter).

Their 320GB drive is pretty cheap now as well ($130 direct from WD for bare drive).

Their 320GB drive is pretty cheap now as well ($130 direct from WD for bare drive).

If you live in the States yes, but outside the US you can´t order them. I WISH that I could buy them directly from them :( *cries*. Mexico SUCKS when it comes to hardware...

I'm going with jago_lfn, not just because of the 5 year warranty, but because it makes me feel that the manufacturers are confident in low failure rates. I have a 74GB WD Raptor (SATA), 200GB Seagate 7200.7 (PATA), and a 300GB Seagate 7200.8 (PATA). They all have 5 year warranties, so I'm confident that they'll last.

Don't worry about interface speed (PATA 100/133, SATA 150/300) since sustained transfer speed of the fastest drives tops out around 80 MB/s. Most of the newer/higher interface speed only helps in server/RAID environments.

Thnx for all the replies !

Ok you convinced me to buy a normal ATA HDD !!!!

But which one WD, Seagate or Samsung ?

I know that you anwsered about that but please help me to buy a good low failure HDD !

Because my IBM (death star) is failing it crashes my computer 5 times a day at least and will not live for long so please help !!!!

M16si

Is this one good ?

IDE Maxtor 250Gb, U - DMA133, DMax 10, 7200rpm, 16MB Diamond

I just found this one at the local internet shop !

You said not to buy Maxtor why ?

Is there a big diffrence between 8mb and 16mb ?

Thnx

16MB Cache is okay, not that you will notice much between 8 and 16MB but if it´s the same price I would go for the 16 :P. But DO NOT buy Maxtor drives, they return to RMA 6 times as much as a Seagate or WD (Samsung I don’t know). Play safe and stay away from Maxtor please.

I agree with not buying Maxtor. I have bought Maxtor drives before (years 2000-2003). And everyone of them just days or maybe a week would pass after the warranty expired and the drives would die. These were replaced with Seagates. I have just 2 left where the warranty is about to expire and have already ordered Seagate replacements. Prior to buying Maxtor drives it was strictly WD/Seagate, but Seagate started raising their prices and WD I started having problems with NEW drives, that is why I went to Maxtor. I still have a VERY old Maxtor 540 Meg Scsi that works like a charm. It is connected to my Amiga 2000 and has been running since 1994. So if you are just looking for a replacement drive GO SEAGATE. The drives are VERY quiet and the 5 YEAR Warranty can't be beat. :yes::yes::yes:

Here's a GREAT place to buy.

http://www.newegg.com/

jd

Edited by 03GrandAmGT