Multiboot HP SmartStart and Firmware Maintenance CD Multi-Boot

easyindian

I know that this has nothing to do with the purpose of this forumn. but i am just seeking help to have both the CDs from one. if anyone ever tried, please share your experiences.

I am an HP engineer and i would very much like to have both the apps running from single CD. i tried with MagicISO but failed

please come forward and help

thanks

The problem would be, how many of us on this forum have access to the Compaq / HP Smartstart CD's? I have a few for an old DL380, but I don't have that server anymore. And I'm pretty sure I don't have anything for the firmware maintenance...

Maybe if a few of us had access to this software, we'd have some better answers for ya.

You're lucky my corporation has an OC12 and that I'm feeling generous this week :) I'll write back later after I have a chance to download them and peruse through the files...

Edit: Go HP! Their file provider site is pretty fast; I'm pulling down at almost 1.5MB/sec... Shouldn't take long at all!

Edited by Albuquerque

Haha! Go HP! Seems they're already way ahead of you; they're using ISOLinux on both CD's to provide an CD-based linux operating system to launch their software from.

In theory, it's as simple as just adding the two CD's together and rewriting one of the ISOLinux.CFG files along with renaming of one of the INITRD.IMG files to make sure the two seperate files stay seperate.

In reality, this will likely also have a few other hiccups such as equally-named _autorun directories and some other simple stuff. Also, there isn't much option for paring down the size, so it will almost certainly end up on a DVD.

Is a DVD useable on your equipment? I don't recall our machines having DVD roms in them, but it's been so long since I've used the CD player on ANY of our hardware that I just don't recall. All of our servers are deployed with Altiris...

Thanks very much

I can delete few directories from smartstart. so both the CDs will come onto one CD. please let me know how can i have both boot from one cd.

I knew that its using linux loader. It's loading netscape browser as the user interface

I really appreciate your efforts

God Bless You

So here's what I did...

1. Create a blank folder named "Big mofo" (name it whatever you want)

2. Dump the entire contents of the firmware maintenance disc into "Big Mofo"

3. Go into the "Big Mofo" folder, into the System folder, rename the following files:

• initrd.img -> initrd1.img
    vmlinuz -> vmlinuz1

4. Dump the entire contents of the SmartStart ISO file into "Big Mofo", overwriting files when prompted.

The following file changes are made to files within the Big Mofo\system folder...

5. Edit sample.msg with notepad; clear out the contents and replace it with the following:

ProLiant Firmware Maintenance CD 7.40.2005_0831.65

1. Standard mode

2. Large Mem (>32gb)
3. Debug
4. Debug Bash
5. NoHT Debug

ProLiant SmartStart CD 7.40.2005_0817.112

A. Standard mode

B. Large Mem (>32gb)
C. Debug
D. Debug Bash
E. NoHT Debug

6. Edit isolinux.cfg with notepad; clear out the contents and replace it with the following:

check_server 1
implicit 0
allowoptions 0
prompt 1
display sample.msg
label a
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=80157 init=/sos loglevel=3 ide=nodma ide=noraid pnpbios=off mem=64G
label b
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=80157 init=/sos loglevel=3 ide=nodma ide=noraid mem=64G pnpbios=off
label c
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=80157 init=/sos debug console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 ide=nodma ide=noraid pnpbios=off mem=64G
label d
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=80157 init=/bin/bash debug console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 ide=nodma ide=noraid pnpbios=off mem=64G
label e
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=80157 init=/sos debug console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 ide=nodma ide=noraid pnpbios=off mem=64G
label 1
kernel vmlinuz1
append initrd=initrd1.img rw noht root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=52671 init=/sos quiet=1 ide=nodma acpi=off
label 2
kernel vmlinuz1
append initrd=initrd1.img rw noht root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=52671 init=/sos quiet=1 ide=nodma mem=32G acpi=off
label 3
kernel vmlinuz1
append initrd=initrd1.img rw noht root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=52671 init=/sos debug console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 ide=nodma acpi=off
label 4
kernel vmlinuz1
append initrd=initrd1.img rw noht root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=52671 init=/bin/bash debug console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 ide=nodma acpi=off
label 5
kernel vmlinuz1
append initrd=initrd1.img rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=52671 init=/sos debug console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 ide=nodma acpi=off

You can now create an ISO file with the contents of your "Big Mofo" folder using MKISOFS or something similar; use the ISOLINUX.BIN file (contained in the Big Mofo\system folder) as the boot sector -- no emulation, 4 sectors, offset 07c0.

No prob. If it doesn't work, drop a note in here... Makes me curious :) I really don't have a way to test any of this, as I don't have a piece of hardware that will run it (try starting it in VMWare or on one of my home machines and you get an error about "this isn't a Proliant Server")

Edited by Albuquerque

• 1 month later...

Never saw any replies back on this, so no updates :) Lemme know if it works, I'm curious just because I don't have any way to actually test and see if these tools function as-advertised since I don't have any spare HP servers laying around :P

• 4 weeks later...