RIPREP Message - reparse point

Just run riprep for the first time & got a message saying that reparse point found.

the folder will not be copied to the installation image. it is suggessted that you write a script to recreate this point after a user's initial loggin.

has any one come across this, know what to do & got a script to do this whatever it is?

cheers

• 3 months later...

Is the SIS Groveler service running on the server hosting the RIS image? What the error message says is that a file (or files) that were supposed to be copied to the machine are actually just links, and are stored elsewhere on the RIS volume (reparse points created by the SIS groveler). If your account doesn't have rights to the location where the reparse point is directing the file copy to, or the SIS groveler service is not running, you will get this message.

Well, that didn't solve the problem.

I keep getting a bunch of groveler errors in my event log. I first get an ESENT error (ID: 623) saying

grovel (5264) The version store for this instance (0) has reached its maximum size of 2Mb. It is likely that a long-running transaction is preventing cleanup of the version store and causing it to build up in size. Updates will be rejected until the long-running transaction has been completely committed or rolled back.

Possible long-running transaction:

SessionId: 0x00FB0280

Session-context: 0x00000000

Session-context ThreadId: 0x00000F10

Cleanup: 1

And then I get a Groveler error (ID: 12292) saying

The groveler on partition d:\ has failed due to a database error. See ESENT event log entries for details.

After that, according to the event log, the server tries to restart the groveler every hour without success.

Any idea what is the problem?

If your using a method such as AutoRIS [or the newer AutoImage], then it is likely the reason for the problems [i've had no luck running RIPrep when using AutoRIS].

I havent bothered with RIPrep as using AutoRIS works for me [mainly hehe when i use it right ;)]

Cheers

Nath.

I tried disabling the groveler service on the RIS server and it didn't solve the problem.

I don't understand, everything worked fine until that set of images. I made about 10 images before that one and I never had any error message.

I'm not using any AutoRIS or AutoImage. I'm just working with the standard Microsoft tools (RIS and Riprep). So, except for RogueSpear ;), is anybody willing to make a suggestion as to how I can solve this problem?

I used the following method to resolve the issue.

After the image is riprep'ed and in the riprep'ed image folder that was created and reported the reparse notification I created a folder in:

RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\Riprep_dir_name\I386\Mirror1\UserData\Winnt

called RISupds. That folder contains an $OEM$ sub folder. In the $OEM$ folder I placed 3 files:

cmdlines.txt

Linkit.cmd

linkd.exe

linkd.exe is from the Win2003 server resource kit.

in the riprep.sif file, under the "[unattended]" section it must contain at least the following:

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

InstallFilesPath = "c:\winnt\RISupds"

The cmdlines.txt would be:

[Command]

"c:\winnt\RISupds\$OEM$\Linkit.cmd"

The Linkit.cmd file would contain (all on one line):

start /w c:\winnt\lRISupds\$OEM$\linkd.exe c:\winnt\assembly\gac_32\system.enterpriseservices\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a C:\WINNT\WinSxS\x86_System.EnterpriseServices_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_2.0.0.0_x-ww_7d5f3790

Now your reparse point that you need to recreate may be different, I need this for .NET Framework 2.0.

You can change the paths, folder names, try variables as you like except the $OEM$ folder is required and the cmdlines.txt in that folder also. And the "InstallFilesPath" is required to point to the parent folder of $OEM$.

Good Luck and I hope I didn't miss anything here,

Duil

Duil: I did everything outlined in your solution. The problem now is that I already have a paramater set in InstallFilesPath. I don't think I can remove it, but can I add the c:\winnt\RISupds using a ; ?

Would something like this work?

InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%;C:\Windows\RISupds"

Sylvain,

As long as it's a riprep'ed image and not a CD based OS image (like when running Risetup.exe) you can remove the pre-existing "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%" path and just enter in the "C:\windows\RISupds".

Duil

<Quick Add on>

For those who aren't familar with reparse points you can of course do a web search, but if all you care about is verifying your procedure worked you need to check it by doing a directory listing ("dir") at a command prompt. You cannot see it in Explorer. It will appear as a junction as in my example below.

Directory of C:\WINNT\assembly\GAC_32\System.EnterpriseServices

08/03/2006 12:42 PM <DIR> .

08/03/2006 12:42 PM <DIR> ..

08/03/2006 12:42 PM <JUNCTION> 2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a

Duil