Explorer Crashes When opening a Video Folder

Maleko

Ok, basically, wenever i open a folder that has movie files in, explorer just crashes...tried a reboot, tires just windows exploring it, just crashes, and its not just in My Videos folder in my documents...any ideas?

does it happen in all folders, regardless of whether the thumbs.db file is already created, or just when that file doesnt already exist or is adding thumbnails?

i had the same problem whith an nlited xp build, but i set explorer to NOT extract thumbnails, yet it kept trying to, which caused crashes in folders with videos...it never did it with pictures, and not with wmv or mpg files either, only avi..it was pretty weird, but i reinstalled xp before i found a fix...

there is a certain codec that sum avi files are encoded using that cause explorer to crash/hang, this can be fixed by removing a couple of registry keys, as to which ones those are i honestly cant remember. They are something todo with Shell Media Info though and are located under HKCR\CLSID if i remember right.

Crashes, with a bugcheck, i have only seen it happen in Video folders, which file type i cant say.

But it does seem to happen wen its trying to create the thumbs for the videos.

Come to think of it, some of them are DIVx files, and i did have problems with DIVx 6 before, and installed DIVx 5 again....might try that

Any other ideas?

Are there any free codec packs that I can install?

Edited by Maleko

• 3 weeks later...

try out "ShellExView" and disable the "avi properties handler" and if that doesn't work, try sorting by the filename column and disable the other video handlers for "shmedia.dll"

this helped me when i had a video that had a corrupted header (or something) that would crash/slowdown xp until i forced it closed or it crashed itself.