Multi Manufacturer Pre-Activation

Is it possible that the 2B9D18CF BIOS set has got some string like 'Pheonix'

There is no string in that set or Corporate Edition VLK or someone would have found and published them. They are just placeholders to make the WPA check simpler. Even if leaving it out of your install activates your system may be tagged at some later time as non Genuine. The extra 13MB isn't worth it.

Does this mean I can use a MSDN MCE2005 (which is like retail Pro) and put in my OEMBIOS files into it plus modify setupp.ini to make it take in OEM keys. Will this work Bezalel?

That works good though I've always started with Retail or OEM. I've never tried the MSDN to see what is different. Hopefully you have an MCE OEM SLP key, preferably Dell's.

Hi, Does anyone have the OEMBIOS files for an IPEX? The COA shows 'Windows XP Professional - IPEX Computers' so I am assuming this should be a royalty OEM??? The HDD has crashed. Regards Norman

It depends on how big the company is. I have a system with a Wintergreen COA but the CD had only the standard non SLP OEMBIOS. Maybe the small companies get their name on the COA but don't have an OEMBIOS set or key made. They just issue OEM COA keys and activate them as necessary and buy the SLP set later when they get big enough. It might also be that Wintergreen supplies the SLP OEMBIOS files on the system but not the restore disk.

The list at OEMBIOS.NET is all that is available so far. I notice from the website that there are IPEX branches which tells me that it's a retail store. Any chance you could get friendly with a tech there and get one of the IPEX install CD's, or possibly have at a running machine where you could grab the files? If the store is popular enough then someone else in your area should have one.

Edited by severach

• 1 month later...

have a couple of questions...

Firstly, can a royalty key be used on more than 1 computer at any 1 time or microsoft will know?

Secondly, does every royalty OEM discs ship with a different royalty key? or a certain batch have the same royalty key?

Thirdly, How do you recgonize a royalty key from a COA key? is there any way to tell other then trying them all??

Finally, just to confirm, royalty cd keys are still product specific right ( Home/Pro/ WMC etc..) ?

Thanks!

Edited by stalker878

have a couple of questions...

Firstly, can a royalty key be used on more than 1 computer at any 1 time or microsoft will know?

Secondly, does every royalty OEM discs ship with a different royalty key? or a certain batch have the same royalty key?

Finally, just to confirm, royalty cd keys are still product specific right ( Home/Pro/ WMC etc..) ?

Thanks!

1, Yes.

2, No...yes

3, Normally the PID looks something like: XXXX-OEM-0011903-XXXXX (Professional) for OEM SLP Systems

4, Yes

Edited by FreeStyler

hey all

i have a compaq presario v6500 laptop will be using the CD4E1902 file set ( i guess) as i get

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model: Presario V6500 Notebook PC
4865776C 6574742D 5061636B 617264

so how do i go about find the pid?

hey all

i have a compaq presario v6500 laptop will be using the CD4E1902 file set ( i guess) as i get

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model: Presario V6500 Notebook PC
4865776C 6574742D 5061636B 617264

hmmm every time i post something the topic dont get any replyes for weeks, is it just me?

LOL

Right click on my computer, hit properties or just press Window-Break. Standard keyboards have a combined Pause/Break key. Some laptop keyboards require the Fn key to activate the Break function which makes it Window-Fn-Break.

Microsoft generates up to 4 keys for each Royalty OEM: Home, Pro, TabletPC, and MCE keys. Every machine with a particular Windows type from that company gets the same key. Only one key is used for every Dell XP Home system. Acer uses one key for all their XP Home machines and it's different from Dell's key.

Compaq and HP merged after purchasing individual sets so there are two sets of keys that cover their product line. Gateway and eMachines also have two sets. Since OEMBIOS files and keys are not matched it doesn't matter which set they use.

I normally am able to extract the system's OEMBIOS from the hard drive, so I always know I am using the right set.

However sometimes that simply isn't an option (dead HD, improper reinstal ...)

My problem is that there is often more than one set of OEMBOIS for each manufacturer at oembios.net.

1) Is there a way to try a different OEMBIOS without reinstalling Windows XP?

2) If not is there an easy way to see if an alternative OEMBIOS will work so I don't waste time trying another wrong OEMBIOS set?

3) I tend to use the same SLP key for each version of windows. Do you think this might cause problems down the road. Think Microsoft will someday decide that I am using an HP XP Home SLP key for a Dell XP Home OS and decide to label the system as pirated?

Hi ZenCoder,

I can help out alittle bit.

1) Is there a way to try a different OEMBIOS without reinstalling Windows XP?
Yes, I personally use Knoppix but any live Linux CD will do.

Basically move the new OEMBIOS fileset to the PC. Boot from the Live CD. Copy the OEMBIOS files to the correct folders overwritting the old ones. Reboot into Windows.

If all went while the WGA stuff will disappear and Windows will be activated. :)

2) If not is there an easy way to see if an alternative OEMBIOS will work so I don't waste time trying another wrong OEMBIOS set?

3) I tend to use the same SLP key for each version of windows. Do you think this might cause problems down the road. Think Microsoft will someday decide that I am using an HP XP Home SLP key for a Dell XP Home OS and decide to label the system as pirated?

I'll leave these two to for the guys who understand this better than me. B)

Thanks

I am comfortable using Knoppix, and using to to replace the OEMBIOS files is a lot better option than burning another custom disc.

NEW QUESTION

Any reason why a custom MCE 2005 disc make from a MSDN download wouldn't work with SLP?

I am just wondering is there is something different about Media Center when it comes to SLP or something different about discs from MSDN?

I don't see many systems running Media Center, so I haven't had much oportunity to answer these questions for myself.

Edited by ZenCoder

Thanks

I am comfortable using Knoppix, and using to to replace the OEMBIOS files is a lot better option than burning another custom disc.

NEW QUESTION

Any reason why a custom MCE 2005 disc make from a MSDN download wouldn't work with SLP?

I am just wondering is there is something different about Media Center when it comes to SLP or something different about discs from MSDN?

I don't see many systems running Media Center, so I haven't had much oportunity to answer these questions for myself.

No, there is no difference, SLP works fine on MCE

@ZenCoder,

MSDN disks are 'Retail' disks not 'OEM' disks.

Hence they have slightly different files inside. But you can covert them to 'OEM' disks by editing/swapping a few files. :whistle:

Also when playing with MCE make sure you use ALL the folders from both disks AND an MCE CD Key, or you'll end up with a broken XP Pro install. :blink:

That explains it. I guess I was confused because MS only sells OEM versions of MCE 2005. So I never though to check to see if it was retail vs OEM. Thanks.

You can take both CD and turn them into a DVD without editing any files. If the 2nd CD is in the same disc as the first it just works.

Edited by ZenCoder

You can take both CD and turn them into a DVD without editing any files. If the 2nd CD is in the same disc as the first it just works.
Yep, just make sure you copy ALL of the files from the 2nd CD.

In fact you can add the 2nd CD from the 'Tablet Edition' too, that way the one disk can install either WinXP Pro, MCE or Tablet Ed. Depeneding on which CD Key you use, but bear in mind this causes problems when making a 'Fully Unattended' [including Apps, Utils and Patches] install CD/DVD.