Multi Manufacturer Pre-Activation

So... I've read this forum, but so far it doesn't to be anything other than gathering the manufacturer and model strings from the BIOS. When do we get to use it? :D

When it's done. It will get done faster if you help.

This would make reformatting clients' PCs a lot easier! I've called Microsoft too many times :(

You can do this right now. There is a similar MSFN thread that shows how to make proper SLP CD's from stuff you already have that will install as good and better than factory. Reread here until you find it. When you get good at building and applying those install CD's, you can help this project along.

Hi everyone,

I have just repaired an Acer PC from a customer. The PC was correctly activated but it had some corrupted system files and was giving strange errors (God, why does Acer STILL use FAT32 in the 21st century???)

The client had lost the original Acer recovery CD, so I copied the contents of my Windows XP SP2 Home OEM CD (the generic one, not branded by any Royalty oem) to my hard drive, deleted all four OEMBIOS files and burned it again (using a correct bootsector to make it bootable)

I booted the computer with the burned CD and chose the repair option (not the recovery console). During the text phase the setup program complained that the oembios files were missing, but I just hit ESC a few times and it continued.

After the first reboot, during the graphical phase of setup, it complained again about an oembios file missing. I clicked cancel a few times and thankfully it allowed me to continue.

The setup finished and the computer booted up correctly. It had repaired the problems the customer was having and, best of all, the computer remained activated! I didn't have to activate it again! (I checked it with "msoobe.exe /A" to be completely sure)

It seems that the setup program left the existing oembios files alone, and did not delete them. I went to the system32 folder just to be sure and confirmed that the oembios files were intact.

To be honest, I didn't think it would work at all. I'm very glad that it did!

Is this the expected behaviour of Windows XP? Can I expect this method to work in the future with other computer brands?

Many thanks in advance,

best regards.

Hi everyone,

I have just repaired an Acer PC from a customer. The PC was correctly activated but it had some corrupted system files and was giving strange errors (God, why does Acer STILL use FAT32 in the 21st century???)

Perhaps because it' s a LOT faster compared to NTFS. Or they just forgot to implement the conversion after sysprepping ^^

Is this the expected behaviour of Windows XP? Can I expect this method to work in the future with other computer brands?

Since you left out the oembios files the origional OEMBIOS files are left intact. In the future you can use the scripts at http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=63258 to make a manufacturer specific CD.

I just noticed something interesting today. When I started working I had installed a WGA version earlier than 1.5.540.0 (I dont remember the exact version) and WGA notifications. While I was working WGA got updated to version 1.5.540.0. When WGA got upgraded MGADiag.exe stopped reporting the SLPBIOS strings. I than booted up in safe mode and was able to see the SLPBIOS strings. All my computers without WGA notifications are runnning WGA version 1.4.389.0 and still report the SLBBIOS strings.

I just noticed something interesting today. When I started working I had installed a WGA version earlier than 1.5.540.0 (I dont remember the exact version) and WGA notifications. While I was working WGA got updated to version 1.5.540.0. When WGA got upgraded MGADiag.exe stopped reporting the SLPBIOS strings. I than booted up in safe mode and was able to see the SLPBIOS strings. All my computers without WGA notifications are runnning WGA version 1.4.389.0 and still report the SLBBIOS strings.

NO, 1.5.540 still reports SLPBIOS flawless, u sure the oembios files set u are checking is original royalty vendor?

NO, 1.5.540 still reports SLPBIOS flawless, u sure the oembios files set u are checking is original royalty vendor?

I didn't spend too much time dignosing the issue. I know that the files were SLP files and it stopped working as soon as the version number changed to 1.5.540.0 (maybe it just needed a reboot). I removed the notifications and changed LegitCheckControl.dll to version 1.4.389.0 and now its working again.

One thing I am sure about is that WGA upgraded itself without my consent and it didn't get the upgrade from my WSUS Server.

One thing I am sure about is that WGA upgraded itself without my consent and it didn't get the upgrade from my WSUS Server.

Interesting. I use WSUS as well and I've specifically been keeping the notifications thing from installing because of some false positives and other issues that Microsoft give me an explanation for. This was prior to build 540, but now I will never knowingly let that POS install within my organization if I can help it. Looks like I need to go check my syslog.