Multi Manufacturer Pre-Activation

I replace the 4 files after install during the sysprep process using wfpreplace.exe to get around windows file protection. That way Windows is preactivated before Windows Welcome page appears.

This method wouldn't work for me bacause at T-9 setup starts a full scan which would just restore the origional files. You might be able to use parts of my script to determine the manufacturer and call wfpreplace.exe.

My goal at this point is to replace the files and have the replacement files protected by WFP.

I replace the 4 files after install during the sysprep process using wfpreplace.exe to get around windows file protection. That way Windows is preactivated before Windows Welcome page appears.

This method wouldn't work for me bacause at T-9 setup starts a full scan which would just restore the origional files. You might be able to use parts of my script to determine the manufacturer and call wfpreplace.exe.

My goal at this point is to replace the files and have the replacement files protected by WFP.

I circumvent this problem by copying the I386 folder to the systemdrive and change all necessary setup paths in registry. And the I also replace the oemfiles in this folder which then is the source where WFP will get its replacement files from.

Can you send me your script, anyway? Automating the whole process would be nice :)

BTW I replace the files AFTER setup during the sysprep process which means after T-0 :-)

Edited by vpn-user

I circumvent this problem by copying the I386 folder to the systemdrive and change all necessary setup paths in registry. And the I also replace the oemfiles in this folder which then is the source where WFP will get its replacement files from.

Replacing the oembios files in the source won't make WFP use your replacement files (somehow it knows that the replacement files aren't origional) it only prevents WFP from finding the origional files to restore.

Can you send me your script, anyway? Automating the whole process would be nice :)

The current version is located at http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=512579.

Replacing the oembios files in the source won't make WFP use your replacement files (somehow it knows that the replacement files aren't origional) it only prevents WFP from finding the origional files to restore.

You' re right. But I don' t really care about WFP because I also use patched uxtheme.dll, tcpip.sys and legitcheckcontrol.dll (all selectable within installer)...

You'll need to somehow register the associated .cat file with WFP. I remember seeing a thread about this issue over RyanVM's forums quite some time ago. You may want to check out certutil.exe (by default located in System32).

Posting oembios file are okay, isn't it ?

A small package will be interesting ...

I am creating a repository for OEMBIOS files. The entrypoint will be http://www.oembios.net. I don't have the hardware to test these files so PM me letting me know if they work for you or not (if not please specify your PCs model#). If you nedd a specific OEMBIOS set or have one to offer please PM me. I have the following sets and will post them as they are ready:

Acer

Compaq

Dell

Dell (Server)

E-Machines

HP

IBM

Samsung

Sony

Toshiba

Note: I will not be able to reply to all messages but will read them all.

Edited by Bezalel

Anybody else like the idea of collecting Oemlogo.bmp, Oeminfo.ini and Oem Wallpaper's ?

Incase they can be added to the script later.

I plan to add oemlogo.bmp support in later versions and to genererate oeminfo.ini from the SMBIOS table. I have no immediate plans for wallpapers but will provide a method to call a manufacturer specific batch files.

I plan to add oemlogo.bmp support in later versions and to genererate oeminfo.ini from the SMBIOS table.

OK, i'll keep collecting up the Oemlogo's then, i might not bother with the wallpapers. It maybe going a little too far. :whistle:

Manufacturer: MEDIONPC
Model: MS-7012
4D454449 4F4E5043

Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
Model: Dimension 8300
44656C6C 20436F6D 70757465 7220436F 72706F72 6174696F 6E

btw, there is a other, easier way to install Windows XP OEM SLP media, on different brands of oem, just pick one brand of which you have valid OEM media and run a batch command / boot floppy and change the DMI BIOS "System Manufacturer" string into (for example: MEDIONPC) the one you have and it will install without problems,

no serial, activation or validation required :)

This all can be done with use of a DOS DMI-Editor program that needs to be run from pure DOS, it can run under XP Command_prompt allthough you cannot change anything!

Run it using command: dmi /p

Press "Page Down" once and edit the "System Information" Manufacturer string, press "Enter" info is being saved to BIOS DMI table, Tested & working on both AMI & AWARD bioses ;)

HP pc need two lines edited, eg: "System information" Manufacturer and Base Board information" Manufacturer both with "Hewlett-Packard"

there are command-line commands you could run without it showing the gui, eg:

dmi /sm "Hewlett-Packard"

dmi /bm "Hewlett-Packard"

dmi /sm "IBM Corporation"

dmi /sm "MEDIONPC"

this method is tested with HP ("Hewlett-Packard"), IBM ("IBM Corporation") and MEDION ("MEDIONPC") brand pc's

Edited by FreeStyler

@Bezalel

I was talking an Admin at work about this thread, while trying to get info on the servers. :whistle:

He asked an interesting question, that I said i'd pass on;

Could the scripts in the activation.rar be limited to using only the first 8 or 10 digits of the Manufacturers Hex ?

That way you shouldn't need a load of OEM filesets for Dell's, Acer's and HP's.

Could the scripts in the activation.rar be limited to using only the first 8 or 10 digits of the Manufacturers Hex ?

That way you shouldn't need a load of OEM filesets for Dell's, Acer's and HP's.

You can always add the following line to your own code

MfgHex=Left(MfgHex,8)

I will not be adding this for the following reasons:

It is possible that a manufacturer uses different oembios sets for different lines. (if this becomes an issue I can always rewrite the code to include the model#)

If you are using identical sets they will only be stored once on the CD

Limiting your self to 8 characters only compares the first 4 charachters of the name and once I go over 8 charachters, I don't care how far I go

If there are users who have a problem with long file names than I'd suggest hashing the manufacturer string with CRC32 (I was origionally hoping to use CRC32 but vbscript doesn't have the correct datatypes to perform CRC32)