Multi Manufacturer Pre-Activation

Thanx for the reply Bezalel,

I spent most of yesterday trying to collect the oembios file from the PC's around here,

but it looks like most have been formated and had clean installs. So the oembios files aren't any good. :(

I'm guessing i'd get into trouble asking for the files from royalty OEM's here, so i'll have to get sneaky and find them some other way to get them, before I can test this out properly.

But i'll still give it ago with the two sets I have and let you know the results.

I've got the Sony XP Pro and Compaq Home files, and I'm pretty sure i can find some Dell and HP files, its the Evesham XP Pro ones that'll be the hardest to find. :wacko:

Although my method is currently working SFC is aware that the files have been changed because oembios.cat was parsed before the files were changed. If the end user ever runs SFC manually they will be prompted for the oembios files that match the origional oembios.ca_ that was left on the CD. My two question now are:

When SFC parses the oembios.cat file where does it store the thumbprints of the remaining oembios files? (I am able to delete the oembios.cat file, it is not protected but SFC still knows that the files aren't origional)

Can I run cscript.exe from DetachedProgram? (To replace oembios.cat before it is parsed.)

Presetup.cmd looks interesting but I'm trying to keep away from hacked binariess

Thanx for the reply Bezalel,

I spent most of yesterday trying to collect the oembios file from the PC's around here,

but it looks like most have been formated and had clean installs. So the oembios files aren't any good. :(

I'm guessing i'd get into trouble asking for the files from royalty OEM's here, so i'll have to get sneaky and find them some other way to get them, before I can test this out properly.

But i'll still give it ago with the two sets I have and let you know the results.

I've got the Sony XP Pro and Compaq Home files, and I'm pretty sure i can find some Dell and HP files, its the Evesham XP Pro ones that'll be the hardest to find. :wacko:

For about 3 months I didn't go into a certain CompUSA because I was almost caught collecting oembios files and factory keys from floor models. Its easier to get the files from a laptop because you can naturally rest you hand over your USB drive.

BTW You only need one set of files to test the CD.

I'm not sure about cscript.exe from DetachedProgram, but I'm sure a compiled AutoIt script would work just fine.

I had previously kept away from AutoIt because I thought it needed a runtime to be installed. Now that you have shown me the light, I'm adding AutoIt to my collection of development tools.

I have OEMBIOS for:

Compaq - Home & Pro

Dell - Home & Pro

Emachine - Home

HP - Home & Pro

Sony - Home

ATM these are all that I have aquired...

Let me know if you need some help, I would love to have a CD that would auto determine what brand system is being used, and then use the correct preactivation files.

@ Bezalel,

I was thinking of doing the same thing here at my local PCWorld on the weekend. They already hate me in there, so it won't be a problem if the they ban me. :yes:

I've got a few sets of files now, and i've made up a UA disk.

Just gotta wait till I can Ghost the PC's, before testing it out.

@ discountpc,

I was thinking along the same lines as you, having one UA disk to cover all my OEM's :yes:

Here a list of the file set I have:

Dell: Pro & Home

Sony: Pro

IBM: Pro

Compaq: Home

I'm still working my way through old backups to see if i have,

Packard Bell: Home

Evesham: Pro

NEC: Pro

On my IBM ThinkPad T41p with preactivated Windows XP Professional SP2 OEM SLP I get this:

Manufacturer: IBM
Model: 2373GEG
49424D

BTW: My unattended Windows DVD has an Installer which lets you choose which vendor files to use for preactivation. Simple as that ;-)

Edited by vpn-user

BTW: My unattended Windows DVD has an Installer which lets you choose which vendor files to use for preactivation. Simple as that ;-)

What method are you using? Do you have seperate boot directories or are you replacing the files after install?

@Bezalel,

The numbers that make up the ID for the files, i.e. the 6F53484942412435;

6F53484942412435.BIN

6F53484942412435.CAT

6F53484942412435.DAT

6F53484942412435.SIG

Are they generated form the OS, the Hardware, or Both ?

The reason i'm asking, is most of the oembios files i've collected are from Ghost/Restore images from PC's I no longer have. Which means i don't have the ID's to go with them, so i'm at a loss as to how to name them.

I'm hoping you know the answer ito this, as it could save me a lot of messing around tomorrow, what with Ghosting/Restoring/Formating/Installing/Swearing/ Pulling Hair Out 'ing :yes:

@Bezalel,

The numbers that make up the ID for the files, i.e. the 6F53484942412435;

6F53484942412435.BIN

6F53484942412435.CAT

6F53484942412435.DAT

6F53484942412435.SIG

Are they generated form the OS, the Hardware, or Both ?

The reason i'm asking, is most of the oembios files i've collected are from Ghost/Restore images from PC's I no longer have. Which means i don't have the ID's to go with them, so i'm at a loss as to how to name them.

I'm hoping you know the answer ito this, as it could save me a lot of messing around tomorrow, what with Ghosting/Restoring/Formating/Installing/Swearing/ Pulling Hair Out 'ing :yes:

They are named based on the system manufacturer's name as listed in the SMBIOS table. You can look through this thread to determine how different manufacturers list their name in the SMBIOS table or use the script in the first post to find the manufacturer string. The name of the file should be the same as the hex string without the spaces. (Some manufacturer's use different strings for different models, in order for the CD to work you need to use the string of the target PC.)

@Bezalel,

ooop's.. I thought the script on the first post was part of the CollectFiles.rar :blushing:

Well, I spent most of yesterday messing with the OEMBIOS files, with almost total sucess B)

The Compaq Presario, would only work with the Compaq key. Bu the Sony, IBM and Dell all worked with each others keys. :thumbup

Thanks for all your help and patients.

Heres some more PC reports if you still need them.

Manufacturer: IBM

Model: 2648GG2

Model: 26478PG

Model: 266295G

49424D

Manufacturer: Compaq

Model: Presario

436F6D70 6171

Manufacturer: Sony Corporation

Model: VGN-S5XP_B

536F6E79 20436F72 706F7261 74696F6E

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Model: Dell DM051

44656C6C 20496E63 2E202020 20202020 20202020 20202020 20

What method are you using? Do you have seperate boot directories or are you replacing the files after install?

I replace the 4 files after install during the sysprep process using wfpreplace.exe to get around windows file protection. That way Windows is preactivated before Windows Welcome page appears.

I' m afraid each file listing is ~12MB and no, zipping them up does not save any space so I won' t post them here. I have the files for Acer, Compaq, Dell, HP, IBM/Lenovo and Samsung.