windows me and file names

prx984

anyone else having this problem? whenever i install ME on a machine, all the file names in the windows directory are in CAPS. its annoying having them all in caps, feels like the computer is yelling at me :blushing: lol. anyhoo, be kinda cool if i could fix it .

-brian

Forget the caps....windows is NOT yelling at you.

My big question is, "why on earth are you installing MS's all time worse OS?"

Years ago when ME first came out, I installed it like so many others. I had it about one whole month.

Then I deleted it and went back to Windows 98/SE, again like so many others.

The next time I had a yen to upgrade, I jumped right to Xp-Pro, with a neat little XP-Pro Upgrade CD.

Cheers Mate,

Andromeda

Oh, wow a lot of frieking help that is! In a win9x/me support forum, exactly what good does it do to tell someone to upgrade to a better OS?

Alright, I don't really know what the setting is in ME, but perhaps it's the same as it is in 98se: Go to "My Computer" > View > Folder Options > View > uncheck "Allow All Uppercase Filenames."

first off let me thank Jlo555, at least he helped. unfortuneatly though, that option isn't in folder options. iv already tried the registry patch too, but that doesnt work either. ill keep looking around on google and that, but i dont know if ill get it working.

secondly, Andromeda43, whats wrong with windows me? iv been using it on my laptop for school for a long time, its great. i love it. the worst thing that happened was when i installed a program that wasnt exactly perfect and i got a blue screen. then i restarted and never used the software again. its a great OS. so you just have to be careful with what you do. ME is great for internet, IM, Email, stuff like that. i dont do much other than that. other than type of documents and listen to music. and to be honest, 98 SE totally blows imo, 98 FR was better. SE had that stupid shutdown bug, all my computers did it. even after installin the update. i got my copy of windows me from a friend who didnt like it and im kinda glad he did give it to me lol, i love it. system restore is great, and the fact thats it built on the 9x core, its fast and reliable on my old armada 1700. a 233 with 64 mb of ram actually runs better than 98se. the boot time is great, the reliability and such. well i think thats enough rambling, ill just stop. i like ME and im happy. i just want to fix the all caps file names. thats the only complaint i have. i dont want to offend anyone here. i just like ME, its a personal preference. its fast and efficient for me.

-brian

got the renamer program, worked. thanks. some files couldnt be renamed though, theyre in use. but one or two here and there dont bug me. but the entire windows directory was annoying.

Originally Posted by LLXX

"They're supposed to be in uppercase... don't complain."

but now i have another question, why is it that whenever someone asks a question (doesnt matter what forum) they always get one or two people that flame them? im just asking a question, if you have nothing helpful/nice to say, dont say anything. there, hows that.

-brian

but now i have another question, why is it that whenever someone asks a question (doesnt matter what forum) they always get one or two people that flame them? im just asking a question, if you have nothing helpful/nice to say, dont say anything. there, hows that.

cause they really hate M$ and all craps os they did (even many one thinks xp and win2k3 is still a crap, so what they want with their os?)

me for some reason didn't want to use ME (some stability, bug and crash so it can't stand for programmer or web developer) but for multimedia and internet maybe ME is better than 98se.

again if i have to choose between 98se and me i will go to win2k (wrong answer i think :D), sorry but i have to choose win98se + usp 2.1a + 98se2me + win98rev pack :D, win ME "doesn't get" support anymore (both from M$ or community).

and for some suggestion, try contact M$ to rename ME name into MY so it will called M$ Windows MY or M$ MY Windows :D

Edited by Dels

No offense Dels, but I really have no idea what the hell you just said.

I think that the only people that still use windows me are the people that like the OS. Those people are few and far between, but they are out there, and we should respect them just the same. I personally didn't see very much wrong with WinMe on an old Dell I stuck the OS on. But I tried it on my main desktop, which I built a few months ago... I didn't make it past the video driver installation before I went back to Win2k, then back to 98se, and here I am! In my experience with the 9x OS series, stability is ALL in the hardware.

yah, ur right actually. it is all in the hardware. i never really thought of that just since all my stuff works, so i guess many peoples computers out there all run different os's better than others. my dads friend said that a 233 (pi or pii) was a great processor for windows 98, and he was right. my 233 (both my dell latitude cp and compaq armada 1700) ran 98 quite well. but 98 did kinda act funny on the latter. my dell i7K runs XP just as well as my desktop (amd athlon 1800 +) some things are noticable, but its decent for me. so, back to my original question, anything else? thanks for the replies everyone.

-brian

All files that have up to 8.3 characters in their name/extension are by default stored on disk in "all caps" [upper case], a.k.a. SFNs [short File Names].

All files with more than 8 [name] or 3 [extension] characters are stored in all Win32/Win64 [9x/NTx], *nix [uNIX/Linux/BSD/FreeBSD], OS/2, BeOS + MacOS OSes by default as LFNs [Long File Names] which can go up to 255 chars.

Please note that you can rename a SFN [8.3] file to small [lower] case, but it will become LFN, which means it will take more disk space, because every LFN file has 2 FAT entries [place holders].

SFN files have only 1 FAT entry.

Hope this helps.

no offense just to clear out

No offense Dels, but I really have no idea what the hell you just said.
gee i just reply the post asking why people blamming on winme :D as i said:
cause they really hate M$ and all craps os they did (even many one thinks xp and win2k3 is still a crap, so what they want with their os?)

"they" and not me :D myself personally use win me for 1 year (before roll back to win98se and finally take win2k)

me for some reason didn't want to use ME (some stability, bug and crash so it can't stand for programmer or web developer) but for multimedia and internet maybe ME is better than 98se.

- didn't want to use not same as didn't like, got it?

- and i agree with multimedia and internet things

win ME "doesn't get" support anymore (both from M$ or community).
say thank you for the hater's not me :D (check out all post regarding win9x/me vs winnt)
and for some suggestion, try contact M$ to rename ME name into MY so it will called M$ Windows MY or M$ MY Windows

joke joke joke (gee what they called it? April Mop?)