[Misc] - XP reboots

redder

hey guys, im having a problem here, which according to the new posting rules doesnt fit under any of the other categories, there are no error messages, here is what happens.

I turn the computer on, it boots windows up, if i leave it alone, it will reboot on its own, ive timed it and there is no relation between the times it takes for it to go down, and by going down i dont mean shutting down, it just reboots as if I had pressed the reset button.

Under the safe mode if i use the computer(not leaving it idle) it doesnt reboot at all, but it reboots when it is idle.

Under normal mode the computer reboots even when I'm using it (not leaving it idle).

there have been no hardware changes or software changes.

no windows errors at all, windows forgets all settings

i have a MSI VH6 board with 832MB of ram, I've tried each module individually, and the computer running only Ubunto without any other hardware but a module of RAM and the VGA so what can it be?

*WEIRD*!

The first thing that comes to mind is hardware, PSU to be more precise.

Since there is no exact time for this to happen, I would not think about viruses or any malware.

Do you have the opportunity of testing it with another PSU?

You can also check MSconfig to see whats starting with Windows (However, I doubt that this is the problem).

*WEIRD*!

The first thing that comes to mind is hardware, PSU to be more precise.

Since there is no exact time for this to happen, I would not think about viruses or any malware.

Do you have the opportunity of testing it with another PSU?

You can also check MSconfig to see whats starting with Windows (However, I doubt that this is the problem).

I've thought of that but haven't tried it yet, PSU is definitly not ok with the computer either, the cables for IDE devices are also causing problems, for example, they do not power the HDD enough for the BIOS to recognise it, which i have to then give a "kick" on the cables (almost literally) till the HDD starts working, I am going to try with a new PSU, might even buy a new case with one, obrigado Gouki I'll try that ;)

One other thing - if you have the Automatically Restart option enabled, you may actually be crashing, and Windows restarts dutifully after the crash. I would suggest configuring your machine to do a complete memory dump on crash, and not automatically reboot - you may actually be getting a bugcheck and a reboot, not just a reboot. Since this doesn't happen in safe mode it is going to be a driver or startup program/service causing this, but the bugcheck will likely give an idea of what's actually happening.

The reason I said it should not be a startup program is because *it does* restart in safe mode ...

Under the safe mode if i use the computer(not leaving it idle) it doesnt reboot at all, but it reboots when it is idle.

... But only when the computer is in idle.

I'd take XP out of the mix all together.

Boot up the system with something like Memtest86 and let it run for a few hours.

That takes the HD and windows out of the game and you'll find out if your ram is OK in the mean time.

Well, ya gotta start somewhere, and that's as good a place as any.

Oh yeah, remove the ram and clean its edge connector thoroughly. It should be nice and bright and shiney.

Then reseat it and make sure the white latches are firmly locked into the ends of the ram.

Luck,

Andromeda

I'd take XP out of the mix all together.

Boot up the system with something like Memtest86 and let it run for a few hours.

That takes the HD and windows out of the game and you'll find out if your ram is OK in the mean time.

Well, ya gotta start somewhere, and that's as good a place as any.

Oh yeah, remove the ram and clean its edge connector thoroughly. It should be nice and bright and shiney.

Then reseat it and make sure the white latches are firmly locked into the ends of the ram.

Luck,

Andromeda

I've tried each module individually, and the computer running only Ubunto without any other hardware but a module of RAM and the VGA