[release] Windows Server 2003 - XP Conversion Pack

This sounds pretty cool. Is everything just as compatibible?

Why doesn't Microsoft just provide a patch you can download to update Windows XP to the newest NT 5.2 kernel? So that way, both the most current 32-bit workstation and server versions of their OS would use the most up to date kernel?

I mean Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Server both use the same kernel?

I believe this would be M$ unofficial statement:

I NEED $$$

They don't ask money for service packs. This could just be an update just like MAC OS 9.1 to MAC OS 9.2. Why charge money to be updated from 5.1 to 5.2? Going from 5.1 to 5.2 isn't like going from 5.1 to 6.0.

I get an error since i installed it:

---------------------------

rundll32.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

OK

Solved the problem :)

• 1 month later...

Also been running this for over a month. Excellent!!! Tried to make a cd using the coverter, however, during the file copy part of the installation, I get an error saying that it can't find 2 files (xpconv.exe and xpconv.sif). The wierd thing is that these files are on the disc, in the root directory.

The XP Conversion tool will just help you to enable certain features, like visual styles, DirectX etc. that are normally disabledin Server. However, it is still Server. XP apps will still identify it as Server. To get apps to identify as it you need to use tool like TweakNT or NTSwitch. This will change the platform identifier so thatapps will see the OS as XP 2003, not Server. Be aware that changing this could cause problems and is supposed to be illegal.

so my kind of question would be:

who of you guys using this, actualy have?

> a valid 2k3 licence

> MS SA (software assurance)

> MS BETA access

If you incorporate yourself (~$100 in a lot of states, pays for itself in 1 year if you have half a brain when doing taxes, or remember to tell your accountant) and buy n sell your own hardware (who here doesn't?) about $200-300 a year gives you a very nice MS subscription package.

Enough 100% legit business licenses for 10-20 client computers and 1-4 decent server computers depending on how you use them, and quarterly updates of anything new...like say all the flavors of Vista :) You can get lots of other things like the OEM preinstall kit etc etc, 'beta' access isn't needed.

They cannot be resold etc, its strictly linked to your business use only...but for the same cost as 1 retail box of XP Pro, you can't complain about that.

Its a great option if your primary work is too small or doesn't want to pay for MSDN (or whatever) for you. Or if you're just plain old self employed :)

There is strange error on my Windows2k3x64. Pack says that "C:\Windows\System32\oembios.sig couldn'n be opened. The system couldn't find the file specified." I'm sure it's there. I saw that file. Could you please help me?

Edited by vit

• 3 weeks later...

What's the status of the next version? I'm having problems getting iTunes 4/5/6 working, it keeps crashing due to something within shell32.dll (according to the event log).

I've used TweakNT to test that route out, but it didn't help, so I went back to Win2k3 Standard.

Yes, I have a legal license, from a Microsoft Action Pack, that I got through work.

I also cannot play some older games, such as Battlefield 1942. I'm guessing that this is an incompatibility that cannot be fixed.

If I cannot figure out how to solve these problems, I'll probably throw Vista Beta 2 on the system, and see how that works...

well, if version 2 could support:

1. Conversion to CD, Version 1 gives an error as mentioned in one of my earlier posts

2. Media Center with eHome Tramciever drivers that can be integrated to CD, then....

Vista can wait!!