The memory could not be "read".

George27

The instruction at "0xwhatevernumber" referenced memory at "0xwhatevernumber". The memory could not be "read".

After installing the ie7 refresh update I started getting a prompt to debug or cancel the program with the above message. This never happened prior to the installation. I've done searches and usually the advice was to run memtest software. This is not a hardware problem memory leaks have usually yielded bsod's at least when I tried Agnitum Outpost which has been known for this. This has been occuring with firefox tbird and open office. I reinstalled sun java and it hasn't reoccured. There was a suggestion of this in the search. But most I am suspecting that this is a registry corruption. Has anyone experience anything like this from the Registry_Tweaks_10_10_05.txt in the tweaking forum or knows how to correct this without a format reinstall? tia

After installing the ie7 refresh update
By "refresh update" I assume you mean the updated build that was released last week? Did you have the prior IE7 beta installed? If so...did you uninstall it, per the instructions, before installing the updated build?

The original beta I had network connection problems and I reinstalled the os since. I remember that there was a issue identical to this with an IE hotfix patch for xpsp1.

There is nothing to reset in the bios in regards to memory. This is on a p3 1.1gig.

Edited by George27

For firefox.exe : The instruction at "0x304895db" referenced memory at "0x0329c000". The memory could not be "read"

for the others it was 0x all zeros afterwards.

Then ok to debug, close to cancel.

Since I reinstalled java it has occured yet.

Edited by George27

You have to be aware that updating IE does update some files that other applications reference, both in the shell interface and otherwise. If you roll your system back to IE6, does the issue go away?

For firefox.exe : The instruction at "0x304895db" referenced memory at "0x0329c000". The memory could not be "read"

for the others it was 0x all zeros afterwards.

Then ok to debug, close to cancel.

Since I reinstalled java it has occured yet.

It's not your OS it's some other DLL that's faulty. Probably the Java one since you mentioned it has not appeared after you reinstalled it.

Err...are you having the problem with IE7 or with Firefox?

It seemed to be anything that used java, it was both. Uninstalling IE7 didn't help. After the reinstall of java it has gone away. I stumbled upon something in MSDN and it seems this is not isolated event with IE7.

Thanks for all the input.

Edited by George27