Emergency Disk Sanitation

chrno2004

Hi,

Does anyone know or use any software that can quickly erase a HDD. Ideally one which can be executed with the click of a button/icon (auto mount the ISO, forced shutdown, reboot and erase ... ). Preferable something fast and if it meets US DoD disk sanitation standards will be an added bonus ...

A quick search on Google found two promising tools:-

http://www.killdisk.com/

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Have anyone used them before?

Thanks!

I've used DBAN for a couple of years now. It gives a choice of several protocols to wipe the disk including DOD and RCMP flavours. The one thing it is not is fast. I usually set up the wipe sessions to go overnight using a minimum 3 passess.

Usually when they speak of dod or Gutmann the difference between say wiping with seven passes as opposed to thirty-five, the lesser amount dod there is an assumption that the hd is encrypted. The DOS type disks are really slow. If you don't mind something other then a one button and leave solution, if I'm getting rid of HD I would DL something like a trial of BC Crypt and encrypt the disk. DL East-tec eraser do a navy or dod wipe on the free space, then go in the c: folder select all the files and in the right click context menu Use the East command "erase beyond recovery". Everything but locked files will be erased and you will never be able to boot into it again. Anything left behind is inconsequential. If you have an old Dell utility disk you can use clean2k to remove the partition but it's not necessary or fdisking for that matter. This method is a lot faster. 80 gigs about 6 hours. Even if you encrypt and do one pass the cost of recovering any data is enourmous.

Edited by George27

I wrote my own disk eraser a while ago... could do 1 - 256 passes and I remember it worked at ~20Mb/s random fill.

They all work well, but the ones that access the drive directly are the fastest.