Problems with hfslip and W2K -> msxml3x.dll

ThunderM

Hy,

I am using hfslip on W2KPro en and always get these errors:

setuperr.txt:

Error:

Setup detected that the system file named [c:\winnt\system32\msxml3.dll] is not signed properly

by Microsoft. This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.

Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file.

Error:

Setup detected that the system file named [c:\winnt\system32\msxml3r.dll] is not signed properly

by Microsoft. This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.

Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file.

Msxml3 comes with our beloved security rollup v2. So, is there a bug or something that hfslip does?

Thx!

ERROR_REPORT.TXT

setuperr.txt

Both the 2k rollup update AND the windows update rollup have msxml3. Filedates are different between both files, but they both have the same revision. Go figure.

Note to TC. If the rollup isn't in the HF folder and you aren't slipstreaming IE6, msxml3 needs to be added to the txtsetup and it needs to be registered.

I suppose that's because you aren't including IE6. Maybe someone that keeps IE5 can confirm. I always include IE6.

The problem occurs wether I slipstream IE6 or not, always got this error.

@Tomcat76: Btw, check your PM, your Win2K update list if keeping IE5 on W2K is incomplete!

Both the 2k rollup update AND the windows update rollup have msxml3. Filedates are different between both files, but they both have the same revision. Go figure.

Note to TC. If the rollup isn't in the HF folder and you aren't slipstreaming IE6, msxml3 needs to be added to the txtsetup and it needs to be registered.

:blink: I am using the Updaterollup revision v2, the version for "IT-Pro's".

I tried several times, always getting this error.

Off topic: Are there any reported problems with MP9 and latest updates?

setuperr.log reports a .dll couldn`t be registred?

MP9 is not slipstreamable. You'll have to put it in the HFSVPK_SW folder. You can, however, slipstream the KB911565 update for WMP9 which contains a newer wmp.dll file (put the exe in the HF folder). When WMP9 gets installed (during SVCPACK), it will leave the newer wmp.dll file in tact. This "pre-loading" only possible on Win2K as it doesn't contain wmp.dll out of the box.

BTW... wmp6cdcs.exe goes in HFSVPK_SW.

I'll be back in a short while on the msxml3 stuff.

Hmm, something strange happened.

As you wrote above I moved the mp6xxxx.exe from HFSVPK to HFSVPK_SW, everything else has not changed, and did reHfslip and a reinstall.

The msxml3x.dll errors are no longer existant.

Weird

Edit: @Tomcat76: The Updates of OE I PM'ed you are requested by WU/MBSA. If I slip the 2 ones mentioned WU/mbsa is happy

Edited by ThunderM

OK. Thanks for the heads up.

Could anyone else using IE 5.01 on Win2K confirm that the following two security updates are needed?

IE 5.5sp2-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe (Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 5.5 SP2)

oe 5.5sp2-KB897715-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe (Vulnerability in Outlook Express 5.5 SP2)

Judging by the version number, it appears not but ThunderM says Windows Update and MBSA stop complaining after integrating these with HFSLIP. Very strange...

Could anyone else using IE 5.01 on Win2K confirm that the following two security updates are needed?

And could that person also mention why they would run such a configuration? It seems to me that if you are going to keep/use IE it would make sense to use the latest version. Is IE5 better in some respect?

TC - If there is an OE prob with windows update, the OEUPDATE.EXE KB######.INF command must be issued. This command was in HFSLIP a while back, but was removed. Perhaps it is a good idea to add it back in.