MSFN's Official Free Software List

Gouki

Several I like...

Google earth. Why's that not here yet? And now with a flight simulator!

PortableApps.com - A lot of common applications, made portable. Great for USB flash drives. Mostly FOSS I think.

System Info for Windows - all you could ever want to know about your PC. (Download)

Microsoft Virtual PC - A free alternative to VMware.

That's it for now. :thumbup

these little utilities can give the hex/rgb color value of an individual pixel on the screen. they can come in handy for web page designers and for graphics work.

Color Detector: http://www.cosmin.com/colordetector/

Color Cop: http://prall.net/colorcop/features

ColorPic: http://www.iconico.com/colorpic/

Instant Eyedropper: http://instant-eyedropper.com/

I personally like Color Detector but Color Cop has a stand-alone version. Haven't tried the other two.

Also, a recent PCWorld newsletter mentioned GIMPshop: http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294

has anyone tried it?

• 1 month later...

I strongly recommand Total Copy

http://www.ranvik.net/totalcopy/

Total Copy is a improved version of Windows' copy-function. Here are some of the features:

Pause / Resuming : At any time you may pause the copy-prosess, and continue later.

Auto-pause on any error : If you run out of diskspace, the network goes down or some other error occur, copying is automaticly paused, and you may resume when the error is sorted out.

Resuming on powerfailure : If the computer is turned off during the copyprosess (ex. power-loss or system-crash), Total Copy let's you resume when you restart.

Speedlimit : Slows down the copyprosess, and frees resources to other tasks.

Faster than Windows : Copies slightly faster than Windows (approx. 10% localy, and 1% on network)

Small improvements : Shows copy-speed, a percent-bar and KBytes remaining.

Does not modify Windows' own copy-function : This program will not alter the existing windows-copy-function.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this hasn't been updated in a while... But I wanted to add one for under the GUI spot... It is a wallpaper changer that is actually pretty nice, it is Cardware meaning you are encouraged to send a postcard... And they have a Pro version but they don't nag you about it at all..

Caledos Wallpaper

• 3 months later...

This list could be significantly bigger, there's still a LOT of stuff missing. Some others:

Network stuff

Tunnelier, an alternative to PuTTY

COPSSH, openssh + cygwin + a few extras, along with a usable installer

nmap + zenmap gui, port scanner

mRemote, supports RDP/VNC/ICA/SSH/etc connections

httrack to copy websites

wget to download files from the command line

various VNCs, like ultravnc and tightvnc

etc.

Office stuff

Sumatra PDF, an alternative to foxit and acrobat reader

Internet stuff

FeedDemon, RSS reader

Music stuff:

musicbrainz tagger, for automatic tagging of your mp3's (it will even guess the artist/song name for you)

Packing/Repackaging tools:

installrite, nsis, inno, etc

Virtualization stuff

vmware server and tons more addons/related products and such

System stuff

memtest86+, gparted, etc

Encoding tools:

avisynth

virtualdubmod

mkvtoolnix

dgindex

eac3to (url will likely change over time)

many codecs: xvid, ffdshow, ac3filter, x264, haali

etc

Dev tools

Visual Studio, Express Edition

eclipse

NetBeans & Sun Studio

Mercurial, SVN, etc

Databases like SQL Server Express, Oracle 10g Express, IBM DB2 Express-C, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite, etc

TONS of utils, CruiseControl.NET, NAnt, NUnit, MbUnit, Reflector, etc (VERY long list)

Literally countless frameworks, libraries, ORMs, addons, utils, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

They describe it better than I can:

MakeHuman © is completely free, innovative and professional software for the modelling of 3-Dimensional characters. The features that make this software unique are the new tetra-parametric GUI © components and the Natural Pose System ©, for advanced muscular simulation. Using MakeHuman a photorealistic character can be modeled in less than 2 minutes; MakeHuman is released under an Open Source Licence, and is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
LOOXIS, the inventor of the 3D portrait in glass and market leader in this field has

donated to the MakeHuman project it's sourcecode of "LOOXIS Faceworx", an interesting

application to quickly and easily model human heads from photos.

From a PDF file:

<snip>MakeHuman and their application in a new context from the point of view of the relationship between artist and computer. The problem we posed is the development of a valid tool specially designed for the modeling of virtual humans, with a simple yet complete pose system including the simulation of muscular movement. It is a new interfacing idea, different from the common graphic board with thousands of parameters, much easier to use, fast and intuitive.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, version 2.

MakeHuman website.

Mark

Edited by mark

• 2 weeks later...

It's free, it's under 2MB but I don't know how useful it could be (so I didn't put it in the useful thread). Besides, how many print screen programs are there? :)

The developer recommends 'a good graphics card' but it runs fine on my onboard graphics, VIA S3G.

Features

Accessible through Ptr Scr, Ctrl+Prt Scr, or custom hotkey

Captures full screen, rectangle selection, freehand selection, or active window

Can capture mouse cursor

Supports multiple monitors

Allows annotation over capture, with smooth, natural mouse drawing

Saves capture straight to desktop or to any file, sends it as email, edits, prints or sends to clipboard

Exports as JPG, BMP, or PNG (transparent or opaque)

Can re-scale capture before exporting

Can pre-fill capture title & comments with window title & browser URL

Works as advertised and found here.(check out the vid to see it at work)

He also has an odd way of creating post-it notes for the desktop. Found here.

Mark