MSFN's Official Free Software List

Gouki

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe because they've never heard of it or it sucks? Comodo passes all known leak tests. The point was to provide you with information and let you know there is an excellent firewall that is freeware that you should try.

Leek Test are for newbie. I dont cath spyware, I only care about outbound attack.

Like I said this is rule based firewall or negative firewall, your firewall like comodo are good for my mother, but not for me.

Maybe next time try to read my post.:

A great rule based firewall

The other firewall reviewed a this site are application based mostly

That site has reviews and user comments on firewalls that are based on a lot more than just leaktests. I only mentioned that one aspect of that one firewall.

Maybe next time you'll see the bigger picture and revise your attitude towards someone simply providing information.

Leek Test are for newbie. I dont cath spyware, I only care about outbound attack.

Like I said this is rule based firewall or negative firewall, your firewall like comodo are good for my mother, but not for me.

Maybe next time try to read my post.:

A great rule based firewall

The other firewall reviewed a this site are application based mostly

A great rules based firewall for someone who knows how to use it. Leak Tests are not for "newbies", and they give a very good idea of how well a firewall protects your system.

1MB or 20MB of RAM isn't going to affect the prerformance of your system. I could easily write a program that uses less memory but takes MUCH more time to compute. If you look at any decent programming textbook - usually we face the tradeoff between memory and processing time. The more of one you use, the less of the other you can get away with. People somehow have this misconception that lower RAM usage leads to faster computation, which is not the usual case for programs.

And I'll say this again - task manager does not give reliable information about process memory usage. The old "minimize trick" should prove that to anyone who takes a second to think about what's going on.

I mean leak test are use to test outbound connection. This mean that you have to catch a spyware in first place.

The memory usage of the software in this case is a indicator of it's minimalist approach.

How is memory usage an indication of a minimalist approach? You didn't seem to pick up on my point... RAM and CPU are generally a tradeoff in terms of optimization. If you want less RAM usage, you'll need more CPU cycles.

Leak tests are indeed to test outbound connections, and no - you don't need to be infected to be suceptible to such an attack. There are several sites out there that will generate a page with an image of your desktop as it appears to them. Good firewalls will try to stop this type of activity, but separating out "good" data on port 80 from "bad" data is more difficult than a simple rule can specify.

Not open source but what a freebee. (32.5 MB)

I had seen this program before but figured it was probably a bit of crippleware, but I was wrong! Ok, there are a couple of things that you can get with the pro version ($495, US) that would be useful in a business environment or if you are going to take things to a higher level such as raytracing or you need it in a special format.

It takes just a little getting used to how intuitive it is. And by golly it does a fine job of that.

Google SketchUp is a powerful yet easy-to-learn 3D software. It combines a simple, yet robust tool-set with an intelligent drawing system that streamlines and simplifies 3D design. From simple to complex, conceptual to realistic, Google SketchUp enables you to build and modify 3D models quickly and easily.
Sketchup home page.
Google SketchUp 6 (free version!) is made available to you for personal or commercial use

Differences in versions.

DL

Edit: Bleh!, won't do a true helix. Not relevant to many but it does have it's uses. Even the 'work arounds' are weak. They are nothing but a series of pitched curves. Use the 'follow me' tool with anything but a disk on these 'work arounds' and see what happens.

OT: @Zxian

several sites out there that will generate a page with an image of your desktop as it appears to them.

PM me or start a thread somewhere that describes this in a little more detail please.

Edited by DL

Software for Starving Students

http://softwarefor.org/

For Windows, it includes 7-Zip, Ant Renamer, Audacity, Blender, BZFlag, Celestia, ClamWin, DeepBurner Free, Dia, Enigma, Eraser, Exact Audio Copy, FileZilla, Firefox, Freeciv, Gaim, GIMPShop, GLtron, GNU Chess, Icebreaker, Inkscape, Juice Receiver, KeePass, MozBackup, NVU, OpenOffice.org, Paint.NET, PDFCreator, Portable Apps, POV-Ray, PuTTY, SolarWolf, Spybot S&D, Stellarium, SuperTux, The GIMP Toolkit, Thunderbird, Tortoise SVN, Tux Paint, Tux Racer, Tux Typing 2, VLC, WinDirStat, Wink, winLAME, WinSCP, XAMPP, and µTorrent.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Feb 17 2007

Changed topic name

Added:

Auslogics Disk Defrag

AVG

BitComet

BonkEnc

CamStudio

Comodo Antivirus

Desktop List View

Gizmo

Google SketchUp

HashTab

hugin - Panorama Tools GUI

JkDefrag

metapad

NirSoft Utilities

Orbit Downloader

PowerMenu

rulesPlayer

RocketDock

Rumshot

Sandboxie

Sizer

SoftPerfect Personal Firewall

SpywareGuard

Sysinternals Utilities (replaced AutoRuns and ProcessExplorer)

VirtualBox

Window Clippings

wGetGUI

WinWGet

Wireshark

XPY

Moved:

CCleaner

DM2

Renamed Anti-Virus section

Split File Sharing section into Bittorrent and FTP