MSFN's Official Free Software List

Gouki

i don't think IrfanView is OSS

The topic is not just a list of OSS but also some good freewares.

Irfanview is NOT "Free", when you say Free the term means "Free as in Freedom, not as free beer".

The Freedom of the software is the power of so many developers to "Free" their software under CopyLeft licenses, please read more about it here: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Edited by hq4ever

Please add HijackThis to the [Malware Prevention] list. One of the best btw.

No offence, but this list it crap.

Your missing soo many good products.

I'm not even going to start naming them.

Edited by sonu27

• 2 weeks later...

Winlibre 0.3.1, Free Software for Windows

WinLibre is a rigorous selection of free, legal software for Windows 98, 2000, XP

WinLibre packages this quality software in a complete and coherent product

WinLibre software meets your essential needs : Office (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation), Internet (web, email, messaging), Multimedia (music, video), Create (drawing, music), Tools (file compression, antivirus)

WinLibre automates and simplifies their installation

WinLibre stands in two versions: a complete autonomous setup (151 MB) and, a mini setup (0.6 MB) which downloads from Internet the selected software at installation time.

After having downloaded and launched Winlibre , choose the software to be installed in a single click. Winlibre will install them for you.

http://www.winlibre.com/en/

• 1 month later...

Add my favorite: EverNote. (NOT the Plus edition, but the FREE edition)

Irfanview is NOT "Free", when you say Free the term means "Free as in Freedom, not as free beer".

The Freedom of the software is the power of so many developers to "Free" their software under CopyLeft licenses, please read more about it here: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Free is free. Choose between 'libre' or 'gratis'. For me, I'd prefer 'gratis' over 'libre' anytime. Furthermore, 'libre' does not always mean 'gratis'.

As for copyleft ... I refrain myself from using GPL-ed software if I can.

• 4 weeks later...

Hugin is FOSS. If you have taken 2 or more pictures for a panoramic shot, then you can use this program to stitch them together. It will even to a spherical image so you are looking at the inside of a bubble picture, so to speak.

With hugin you can assemble a mosaic of photographs into a complete immersive panorama, stitch any series of overlapping pictures and much more.

Yeah, and it will do more. Sweet.

Home page.

DL

Edit: Thank you Jeremy, piXelatedEmpire and TAiN. (below)

I took some panoramic shots while on vacation or should I say shots taken side by side, hand held and not having followed any instructions for this program (I didn't know about this program yet). The panoramic shots (3) I put together with this program turned out reasonably well. What a difference it is to see them spliced together. It really is worth the effort, even if the panoramic isn't perfect. I ran into two problems that were created by me. One was that I didn't look to see where an imaginary horizontal line would be and that led to each picture being at a slightly different elevation (fixed with merging the pictures with Hugin and then cropping). The second was that I took each picture with the camera adjusting the apperture and it should have been set at a point of my chosing first. This caused the shots pointed closer to the sun to be darker than those to either side and so on with each shot further away. Another thing in the same vein is that when you take the shots, make sure you do them fairly quickly if there are clouds moving fairly rapidly. This caused each frame to have the same clouds in different positions and shadows in different locations. That will mess up the panorama.

Read the instructions. There are some important details that need to be taken into account for better pictures.

Edited by DL

Hugin is FOSS. If you have taken 2 or more pictures for a panoramic shot, then you can use this program to stitch them together. It will even to a spherical image so you are looking at the inside of a bubble picture, so to speak.
With hugin you can assemble a mosaic of photographs into a complete immersive panorama, stitch any series of overlapping pictures and much more.

Home page.

What a killer app! :thumbup

Home page.

What a killer app! :thumbup

I've always used AutoStitch. Will have to try Hugin now!