MSFN's Official Free Software List

Gouki

in case no one else mentioned it, i really like Advanced Windows Care,beta 2 works well

i have used quite a few utilities, this one finds alot more problems than most others

Yeah, just from reading the site, it looks like crap.

Advanced WindowsCare can automatically find the best settings to optimize Windows to the most, and dramatically boost your computer operation and Internet connection speed. It uses the most advanced optimization engine that can completely optimize your computer.

WHat are the best settings? Dramatically boost my PC operation and my connection speed? The most advanced optimization engine? Reeeaalllyy... In all these years I've used PCs, in the dozens and dozens of cleanup utilities, why I've never heard of this? Surely, it would have been mentioned on one of the dozens of reputable sites I have in my bookmarks, since it's so good? Hmmm...

As far as I'm concerned, it's an over-hyped registry cleaner.

everybody missed one thing ....i know this is MSFN (Microsoft a big part in it) what about linux it is an open source O/S and no one said that this was only about application software so linux must ge in the list.

and some browsers are also there

Edited by kambui

• 2 weeks later...

There's two 'Audio Player" sections on the first post :D i think the second one should get another name... "audio tools" maybe.

my suggestions :

Audio \ Digital Audio Extraction :

CDEx - http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/ - like EAC, but still developped, and much more intuitive !

Compression :

WinUHA (or google for UHARC) - http://winuha.com/ - globally same compression levels than RAR or 7-Zip, but better on multimedia files (WAV, BMP...)

UPX - http://upx.sourceforge.net/ - packer for executables

Firewall :

Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 - http://www.google.fr/search?q=Kerio+Personal+Firewall+2.1.5 - very lite rule-based firewall for 9x users

Graphics \ 3D :

Blender - http://www.blender.org/ - (req. Python) - a reference in 3d animated graphics

GUI :

Vista Transformation Pack 4 - http://www.jcxp.net/forums/index.php?showforum=77

:lol:Website \ Software collection :

Softpedia - http://win.softpedia.com/

++

Edited by Delprat

• 2 months later...

CD/DVD Writing:

Burrrn is a very good burner which can burn anything if you have a command line encoder ;).

Firewall:

NetVeda Safety.Net is the most bugfree firewall that i have ever used. it also has a small memory footprint making it very nice.

GUI:

CD Art Display lets you see the currently playing song right on your desktop. it also has some nice skins.

RK Launcher is a program which acts as a dock and provides a nice way to launch your programs. it also has a couple of nice plugins.

TaskSwitchXP is a program which acts as replacement for the default Alt + Tab window. it offers many extra features such as a theme-based GUI, Application preview, and much much more. it also has an EXTREMELY small memory footprint as well as a small filesize.

Network Tools:

XP Firewall Logger uses a file made by the Windows XP Firewall which comes with SP2. the program reads the file and shows the IPs to which you are currently connected to.

System Tools:

Dial-a-fix is a little program which contains a lot of tools which can make some errors go away. some features include rebuilding the icon cache, fixing a few services(like Windows Update, Microsoft Installer, SSH one, etc...), re-registering important explorer.exe files, and more

Process Explorer is a program which is made to show all the processes that are currently active. it has a nice treeview layout and with nice highlighting as well as a lot of advanced features. if you're looking for a replacement to Windows Task Manager, Process Explorer is it.

Replacer is a program which can safely replace system files such as shell32.dll . it also saves a backup copy so that you can revert back to it.

Contig is an application that can defrag files, folders, or even a hard-drive. it uses a special way of defraging the hard-drive by using the Degraging API itself. since this is a command line tool, a lot of users will want a GUI. so see the next program here.

Power Defragmenter GUI is a GUI for Contig. it lets you do everything that Contig can do, but with a nice interface for it. really recommend it for people that don't like command-line.

Uninstall Tool is a very small program which can let you uninstall any program that is listed in the registry. the reason that it's very good is because it loads fast, it has a lot of features, and it's free. the default "add/Remove" in Control Panel is slow and freezes when you uninstall a program. this one doesn't.

Foxit PDF Reader is an alternative for Adobe Reader. it runs fast, it loads the PDF files fast as well, it offers some tools, and a few other features. the main reason why it's better than PDF reader is because of its filesize(just 2MB) and because PDFs load in less than 5 seconds(usually 1 second but depends on the filesize of the pdf file). i'm using the 2.0 beta right now and it's being very stable.

RegSeeker is a program which cleans the registry of any garbage which is left from many programs that can't uninstall right. i've been using it for months and it hasn't caused my system to crash, breakdown, slowdown, or anything like that.

RegCompact.NET is a program which can compact your registry hives. this supposidly can make your computer run faster. requires the evil .NET Framework though. there is a native alternative but it sucks so i won't bother posting it.

FAR Manager is a file manager that has a DOS-like interface. it works very nicely and has a few plugins. Igor Pavlov(maker of 7-Zip) also made a 7z plugin for it.

HDTune is a tiny program which can let you see a bunch of information about your computer's Hard Drive. it can also run an error check to check for any bad blocks. it's a very useful one.

HijackThis is a program which can find a lot of info on your computer and delete some registry entries. this tool is very useful for finding out if you have spyware on your computer.

CPU-Z is a program which can find out information about your computer's CPU, Motherboard, memory cards, and some other stuff as well.

VoIP:

Skype is a program which can let you talk to any landline and mobile phone around the world. it costs money to do that, but the program itself is free. and also, if the person you want to talk to also has skype, then conversations through Skype are free. really nice program made by 2 very famous people(even though eBay owns it now).

Video Tools:

mkvtoolnix is a free program which can make Matroska files out of a lot of files(such as AVI). if you like Matroska, then you must have this program. the name is mkvtoolnix, but there is also a port for Windows via Cygwin.

1by1 (rekomended by me)

I used 1By1 for months, but it has stuttured playback during system load *even minimizing and restoring MSN causes this*. Also, random file change bug. I switched to Winamp and am very happy with it.

RegCompact.NET is a program which can compact your registry hives. this supposidly can make your computer run faster. requires the evil .NET Framework though. there is a native alternative but it sucks so i won't bother posting it.

NET Framework 2 is not evil. I have it installed and there is no negative effect to my system, the specs for which you can see in my signature. NET2.0 bashers are becoming very annoying, huh, Zxian? :P

Also, as the "native alternative" you're referring to NTRegOpt? I use it and see nothing wrong with it. Can you backup your claims?

the negative effect of having it is 124MB of storage space(well that's how much Uninstall Tools says there is). you also get more HD space taken away if you have the .NET 1.1 Framework(which i currently don't have).

as for NTRegOp, i've only used it once so i can't say that i can back up my claims. however, i've found RegCompact.NET to work better for me since it has a more detailed GUI. Plus, it's Open Source :)

Edited by Mangix

the negative effect of having it is 124MB of storage space

Well, it's not so much a "negative" effect as it does not affect system performance whatsoever. If you only have 4GBs of HD space in total, than I can see why it would be a concern at that point. If you have 100GBs... I'd say let it go. ;)