What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?  

1,070 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

• AntiVir
    • Avast
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • ClamAV
    • eTrust
    • F-Prot
    • Kaspersky
    • McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec
    • Trend Micro
    • Other - ?
    • None!

• 2 weeks later...

Good ratings (AV Comparatives), small memory footprint and fast. Doesn't grind your machine like some of the others. I think it might be cheaper too but haven't checked for a while. Anyway. It's the best. Period ( ;) ). Unless you don't want to pay in which case I'd recommend Avast although it's a bit of a hog these days.

• 3 weeks later...

see the prizes that every soft had and you will know>>>

As of anti-virus:Avast and Comodo

As of Anti-malware:Windows defender((as of other`s experience it had detected some malware Spybot T&D did not detect!!))...however it`s better to run both of them>>

As of firewalls...Windows Vista`s one!(for systems perior to Windows Vista I recommend the non-free version of Sygate PRO Firewall

and there are many other security tools I am using with the last ones...

you can create a virtual machine,install AVs one after another,test every one using the free soft available here

don`t forget to remove every AV after testing before installing the next one as this may cause system crash>>>

it`s strongly recommended that you use an virtual machine to avoid registry changes and problems made by installing and re-installing>>>

If you willl use your system,create a system restore point,then do the tests and recover the restore point after finishing even you don`t face problems....

Cheers;)

Edited by ashraf21c

No idea where you heard that Comodo AntiVirus is good. It's far from it actually. Though avast is one of, if not THE BEST freeware antivirus available.

Comodo Firewall Pro is an excellent firewall and it works great with Vista.

No idea where you heard that Comodo AntiVirus is good. It's far from it actually. Though avast is one of, if not THE BEST freeware antivirus available.

Comodo Firewall Pro is an excellent firewall and it works great with Vista.

as I had written,have a look on the prizes the soft had won,available there..www.comodo.com

I'd love to see some numbers regarding memory usage and running processes amongst all of these apps - I'd really like (honestly) if we could start seeing people posting averages of perfmon process counter information for each running process of your antivirus (everything, including the darned tray icon) of handle count, private bytes, virtual bytes, working set, and pool nonpaged and pool paged bytes. Open perfmon, create a counter log, let it run for 24 - 48 hours, stop and save/open it, then add up the averages and start posting some real numbers.

For instance:

SAV 10.2.0.298

Vista SP1

Processes:

ccapp.exe

ccsvchst.exe

defwatch.exe

rtvscan.exe

vptray.exe

Handle count: 1682

Private Bytes: 81.74MB

Working Set: 85.05MB

Virtual Bytes: 502.75MB

Pool Nonpaged: 83.06KB

Pool Paged: 697.01KB

Ah well, I guess it's just me then. I'm completely stumped. I even uninstalled and reinstalled PowerDVD and updated to the latest build. Still the same problem. :(

That said, minus my problem I love NOD32. I just can't get it to work correctly for me right now.

It's been months since I dealt with this but I discovered my problem with NOD32 v3. There was a screwup when I uninstalled NOD32 v2 and not all the files were removed. The internet monitoring wasn't fully removed and part of it was still being loaded at startup. This was messing up my internet connection and also the cause for the PowerDVD crash, apparently. Once I manually removed the remnant of NOD32 v2 the problems ceased and NOD32 v3 functions w/o any issues.