What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?  

1,070 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

• AntiVir
    • Avast
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • ClamAV
    • eTrust
    • F-Prot
    • Kaspersky
    • McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec
    • Trend Micro
    • Other - ?
    • None!

For those interested (and for those that haven't bothered to do any research) according to AV Comparatives:

For on demand detection (report released Feb 2007) top marks go to Gdata AVK, TrustPort, AVIRA, F-Secure, Kaspersky and eScan. Just missing the top score were Symantec and NOD32. Interestingly Microsoft OneCare came bottom.

However the other report for proactive/retrospective scanning (released May 2007) including false positives and scanning speed gives only NOD32 top marks while AVG and Fortinet get the wooden spoon.

Now I'm not saying this is gospel or anything but it sure beats the "xxx AV software is the best because I said so" type review ;)

Yeah, I spent too much time trying out anti-virus products...

- Keep your personal files off you boot/OS drive.

- Use Firefox or Opera, or if you use IE, use it with IEPro and with ActiveX, Java and scripting disabled. A lot of sites like FaceBook require Java to upload pictures, though.

- Verify e-mails and attachments.

- Verify transfers or links via IM.

- Use virtualization software to test downloaded files.

- Use a hardware firewall such as a router.

- When your system is working 100% the way you want, make an image and keep that on a different HDD or partition, or on a DVD; single or dual layer depending on the size. On my OS drive I only have Windows and programs installed and my image is 1GB. It takes me less than 1 minute to make a new image and 3 minutes to restore.

No more anti-virus or software firewalls taking up resources. I use my brain instead.

This is good advice. Unfortunately I have three computers. One is mine, one is my wifes and the other is our media centre. I can't rely on my wife to not browse dodgy sites or be sent dodgy links (She is Ukrainian after all!). However we do use Firefox and we are behind a router. Personal files are also all on a second drive in each of the machines. Having a small, fast AV package just gives me piece of mind that my wife isn't going blow up our LAN!

Having a small, fast AV package just gives me piece of mind that my wife isn't going blow up our LAN!

Yeah, multiple PCs used by the entire family can make things harder to manage. Unless you have a domain and Active Directory setup where you can limit their ability, and throttle it depending on how much they complain about not being able to do certain things. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Even if it makes your system run half the speed*? (Ex Avast user) *speeds quoted are illustrative only :)

Yay! Just got the email about ESET version 3.0 as well!

WOW 30% on this board use ESET. They must be doing something right!

And now it's an MSI too. Can it get any better!!! (note to self: It's only an AV program)

Edited by Dobby

I have to say that I switched from Eset NOD32 2.7 to Kaspersky 7 for some testing and didn't switch back for a couple months. I think Kaspersky 7 is definitely a heavier load on the system but it's not insane. That said I like them both.

I recently uninstalled Kaspersky and tried the new release of Eset NOD32 3.0. I have to say that I was extremely disappointed by the new Eset NOD32 release. They finally fixed the UI to be much more friendly but they also dumbed down the software, IMHO, and removed the power the user is given in making decisions even when using the advanced features. Everytime I booted my system Eset NOD32 3 blocked my cable connection. I'm sure if I dug deeper I would have found a way to stop this but my biggest problem was if I tried to open a DVD with PowerDVD the result was PowerDVD crashing. This was somehow due to Eset NOD32 3.0 being installed. Uninstalling Eset NOD32 3.0 resolved the problem. I've been a huge fan of Eset NOD32 for awhile. This truly saddens me.

I'll try Eset NOD32 again in a few months maybe. For now back to using Kaspersky 7.

Edited by rotjong

my powerdvd have no problem with latest nod32... 3.0.560

I was trying Eset NOD32 3.0.551 at the time. I tried Eset NOD32 3.0.560 a few hours ago. The same problem. It occurs when I try to view a DVD whose files are on my HDD with CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 7.3.3104a.1.

The problem never existed with Eset NOD32 2.x releases and the second I uninstall Eset NOD32 3.x the problem vanishes. Reinstall and it comes back. I suppose it may be a system-specific problem on my end but I don't even know where to begin looking and lack the time right now.

I'm sticking with Kaspersky 7 for the time being.

ive used power dvd for a logn time time, from version 4 to 7 and dont have that problem with NOD32 at all

Ah well, I guess it's just me then. I'm completely stumped. I even uninstalled and reinstalled PowerDVD and updated to the latest build. Still the same problem. :(

That said, minus my problem I love NOD32. I just can't get it to work correctly for me right now.