What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?  

1,070 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

• AntiVir
    • Avast
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • ClamAV
    • eTrust
    • F-Prot
    • Kaspersky
    • McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec
    • Trend Micro
    • Other - ?
    • None!

>Easy people... easy...

Agreed.

Resorting to ad hominem remarks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem) is no way to win an argument. It's just another way to "avoid the issue at hand".

Also, I don't see how google is relevant here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority. That's another well-known logical fallacy.

There is no issue at hand other then your dillusions of an AVG time-bomb.

Edited by jcarle

well I have looked at alot of software, including AVG but not recently. But I do not see any evidence (screenshots?) to support the claim it has a timebomb in this discussion. Perhaps it does perhaps it does not, I dont know.

What I do know is I dont want to see this pointless bickering continue. AVG is at the end of the day just a piece of software, and no one is forced to use it.

No more personal insults or I'll just delete posts impartially.

FYI, AVG's 7.5 does not support certain OS's that 7.1 did. So don't assume that upgrading to 7.5 is a viable option for all users.

Some quick info gathered using google:

>I keep getting a message from avg that it expires in Jan. and for me to download the new version. Only thing is when i do it then it won't install cause it says corrupted file.

>AVG ant Spyware expires in 13 days. Then some important features such as the resident shield and automatic updates will be disabled.

>AVG worked fine yesterday. (free edition) When I turned it on this morning I got two boxes saying this:

>COM Error Caught

>Code value=800004002

>Code meaning = No such

>Description=no default language

>2nd box

>Could not initialize support interface.

Edited by azagahl

What I would like is to have azagahl re-create this timebomb incident and capture it with software like SnagIt or CamStudio to prove it rather than carrying on this rediculousness. This thread needs to be cleaned up.

I looked around and at the homepage for AVG I see "AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007".

After that you will need to use version 7.5 which is still free.

I dont see what the big deal is?

Apparently a lot of people are confused...

http://digg.com/software/Inaccurate_Story_...nued_v_7_5_free

Besides AVG is not the only free antivirus software for home users.

When building PC's for people, I always install AVG free, lowers cost, and if they wanna buy an antivirus later on, there free to do so.

With the message popup that was sent out to AVG users about 7.5, if people read the small print, they will realise 7.5 is still free, probably why poeple are confused, tey dotn read the small print :P

>After that you will need to use version 7.5 which is still free.

>I dont see what the big deal is?

It's not necessarily a big deal if you just download AVG 7.5 and install it. Unless you have an OS that 7.5 won't run on. Or if you don't have time to navigate AVG's labyrinth of a website. Or if you don't like redownloading and reinstalling software that you thought would keep working. Or if you don't like surprises in your software. Or if you've installed AVG on your computer-illiterate grandma's PC and she panics and doesn't know what's going on. Or if you were on vacation while it broke, and now your PC has turned into a spam bot. Or you just downloaded AVG 7.1 from somewhere and it took forever on a crap dialup / mobile connection and you are angry that it was a big waste of time. Or if your AVG just starts crashing mysteriously instead of showing a warning message (as described in an earlier post). Or if you don't like nagware. Et cetra... It depends on your situation.

Personally I'd rather just switch to a different virus program without these headaches. Undoubtedly, AVG will occasionally change the format of its virus definitions, making them incompatible with older software. Improving these virus definitions is part of their job. However, undisclosed preprogrammed timebombs aren't palatable to everyone.

And 7.5's existence doesn't affect the issue of whether 7.1 has a timebomb or not. They could award you all the virus products in the world free for your lifetime and it doesn't affect whether 7.1 has a timebomb or not. Please don't turn this into a flame war. If you question someone's opinion and want more evidence from them, fine; but please consider mentioning this before making multiple posts insulting someone. FWIW, I apologize for making an uncalled-for joke about an earlier post that I found unintelligible.

I'm not sure which exact features of the AVG software are going to shut off this time around. I may make a movie of it as one person suggested above, or I may just wait until the discontinue date and then try installing it. FYI, I haven't seen the opposite - a movie showing everything continuing to work after the discontinue date. Presumably that would be harder to record thoroughly than just recording a couple of examples of things blowing up. Most users don't have time to advance their clock and check for all their software working and not unexpectedly turning into nagware. Anyway, if you have time to make a movie, by all means please do - I am curious about the result. If everything works fine and it stops being nagware, then I might consider switching back to AVG products.

Edited by azagahl

• 4 weeks later...

I use Computer Associates ETrust Internet Security Suite. When I bought my computer, I bought it online from a popular vendor (i configured the system and they built it), only the hardware was installed and I manually installed the things I wanted.

The Suite includes a firewall, anti-virus protection and real-time email protection. It shuts down windows firewall and uses its own. When I first installed it, it would ask me for permissions to run the programs that you would normally not see. But after the learning mode process of the software, it is virtually carefree computing.

One problem I have seen so far with this and compatibility is that Internet Explorer 7 comes with anti-virus and phishing detection, something that has a conflict with my protection system, so I just havent upgraded my explorer. besides, I have netscape and also firefox, so I can choose any to do what I want , when I want.

Overall rating on this product, I would give it a ten, it detected malware in my mail as an attachement, when the mail server didnt even pick uip on it.

the address of the where the malware came from is

secur@megaman.com

And the filename is

Update_KB765_x86.exe

I'm running the trial version of Nod32...

I haven't seen another AVS so perfect, and clean functioning...

When the trial is over, I'll be purchasing Nod32...

Now the really hard thing.. finding a firewall that really works to protect W98se and Seamonkey...