What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?  

1,070 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

• AntiVir
    • Avast
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • ClamAV
    • eTrust
    • F-Prot
    • Kaspersky
    • McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec
    • Trend Micro
    • Other - ?
    • None!

had a look of NOD32 and was impressed by the low memory usage.

i have to agree the old versions of NAV used to be ok because i was given a 486 75Mhz 16MB RAM with 98 First Edition on it and the computer wasnt too unstable or slow

Kaspersky has even less memory usage than NOD32.

I've been using Nod32 and Outpost Firewall for about a year, and was fairly happy. Unfortunately, I assumed that those two progs would take care of spyware and browser hijacks. Wrong!!! I'm using Mcafee 2007, with the Personal Firewall, Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus. Cleans up everything.

I've used Avast Free for several years now, & like that it can also monitor email, iweb, and newsgroups (or not, if you so wish, by changing the settings) & it updated right at the startup of my PC. But the most recent version seems to not stay enabled after it booted up, so I relectantly switched to AntiVir for a bit. This one also seemes to work well, except that it wait a while to check for updates & then throws up a big popup screen right when you are in the middle of something. Got rid of it & am currentl usign AVG Free. I have never seen any isssue with resource hits using any of these, & have not had a virus on my PC since the late '90s. My PC is due for an XP "refresh" soon, so I will probably try Avast back again. I'm a little suprised on how many do not use any, but to each their own.

I'm currently in the middle of comparing pretty much every anti-virus product out there, A-Z. I'm using them 1-by-1 in VMware, taking screenshots of Task Manager (Memory Usage, Peak Memory Usage, Virtual Memory), the number of processes, the Services, the GUIs and options, and finally documentating the filesize of the installation files and then again after the program is installed.

I'm going to show all the results on my web blog for which there is a link in my signature. Won't be long yet.

I'm just sick and tired and people saying Norton/Symantec rule, when they are totally wrong.

I've been using Nod32 and Outpost Firewall for about a year, and was fairly happy. Unfortunately, I assumed that those two progs would take care of spyware and browser hijacks. Wrong!!! I'm using Mcafee 2007, with the Personal Firewall, Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus. Cleans up everything.

The Anti-Spyware portion of McAfee is likely what got rid of your browser hijacker. NOD32 isn't anti-spyware, but anti-virus.

Interesting talk.. There is no mention of Panda.. Anybody have tried it?

As I mentioned in the beginning of my post, Panda does fit in the A-Z category ;), so yes, I have tried it and have all the screenshots to prove it, soon to come.

I've had a good experience with NOD32 but I don't know much about the antivirus world so I have some quiestions: Do NOD32 covers all the viruses that covered by Norton or Kaspersky? And doesn't Norton make the computer slowest?

Norton can detect practically every virus out there, but there are more cons to Norton than pros. It's just too utterly bloated (memory usage, processes, services, GUI excessively large), and it's not very responsive. It's like it's coded entirely in Java, lol.

no antivirus here

Just a quick Portable Clamwin scan over something I download, thats about it.

Same here, emodel, but mine's Kaspersky. I know advanced users know what they're doing a lot more than Joe Blows so they don't necessarily need application/registry/code injection monitoring, and everything running in background. I'm doing what I'm doing for the Joe Blows.

sounds cool Jeremy, I am considering making a sticky in this forum with a list of software guides, for example what you're talking about, if there are enough of em. I am going to try and put together a MPC/FFDshow guide soon, just too much information :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Norton and McAfee are the absolute worst. They protect against nothing and they slow down a computer like a Austin Mini pulling a freight train.

AVG and Avast are behind the leaders, nothing spectacular. I've seen quite a few computers infected even with these installed.

Panda has potential, it's effective, but XP hangs for almost 10 seconds when it loads Panda. (I've sold about 50 copies to customers, so yes, it's not one machine). It's slow, it's poorly supported and it's hard to configure (some things can't even be configured). [That includes both the Titanium and the Platinum edition].

Trend Micro's Internet Security suite I believe, IMHO, is the most effective anti-virus on the market today that also strikes a good balance between effectiveness and computer performance after installation.

All this said, I still would never install an anti-virus on any of my personal computers.

• 2 weeks later...